Small claim against us, after car accident.

Looking for some advice...

About 9 months ago, my mom was involved in a traffic collision in a retail park. Driver and insurance details were exchanged, and we thought insurers would have dealt with the matter.

However, we've just received a county claim form, the other party is making a small claim against my mom.

Can they do this, when she had car insurance? Any advice appreciated...

Thanks,

If you reported the incidence to your insurance company then just pass the details straight onto them. The two insurance companies will have decided not to settle (so far) and this is the progression of that.

Aye, similar thing happened to me a few years ago, though I was suing them (apparently) over costs for the hire car.

Insurance company wasn't overly impressed. The documentation should not have come to me. I just forwarded it on, didn't hear anymore about it other than the other side lost eventually.

Are they claiming for something they missed from the original claim?

I'd so straight to the insurance company concerned.

Edit.

When you say you thought it would be dealt with by the insurers, did anything happen after details were exchanged?

I wasn't present when the collision happened, but...

The claim is for 'Totla' loss and associated losses.

Seems a bit crazy to be honest, the collision was at very low speed (in a retail car park), hard to imagine their car was a write off. Also, states separate detailed particulars (of claim) to follow in 14 days.

Seems a bit crazy to be honest, the collision was at very low speed (in a retail car park), hard to imagine their car was a write off. Also, states separate detailed particulars (of claim) to follow in 14 days.

Depends how old the other car is and it's value..insurance companies like to use new parts and labour costs can be astronomical some times..

If you reported the incidence to your insurance company then just pass the details straight onto them. The two insurance companies will have decided not to settle (so far) and this is the progression of that.

Thanks Cyclone,

Yep, we reported to my moms insurance at the time.

My only concern with forwarding the claim on to moms insurer, is that the claim is directly against my mom. If her insurer misplaces or forgets about the claim form, a judgement will be entered against my mom.

That make sense?

Thanks,

---------- Post added 01-02-2018 at 11:57 ----------

Depends how old the other car is and it's value..insurance companies like to use new parts and labour costs can be astronomical some times..

Vauxhall Corsa, 53 reg. Mom says only damage to their car was a small dint in front wing. Claim is for 900 quid!

It sounds as if they didn't get the response they wanted from the insurance company, the size of payout. Or maybe they didn't report it themselves.

Weird

Has your mom received anything to say the claim is being dealt with?

It sounds as if they didn't get the response they wanted from the insurance company, the size of payout. Or maybe they didn't report it themselves.

Weird

Has your mom received anything to say the claim is being dealt with?

I have the emails where we reported (quick description of event, and answers to insurers questions) it to my moms insurers.

They replied with ... "Thank you for your previous email, I have reviewed the file and it seems all the information we have is enough if we do require further information we will contact you."

I guess the next step is to email them back and let them know about this claim form, see what they say...

---------- Post added 01-02-2018 at 12:37 ----------

Are you in the USA?

Nope, in Sheffield, UK.