Crookes Brickworks?

Dave_G

Crookes Brick Works was situated approximately where the Catholic Church is or where the old tram shed was. I believe they were not is business for long. Possibly Brick Street was where the first all brick houses were built in Crookes, although many of the stone ones are lined with brick.

What an amazing map, thanks Annie!

Yes, they are very interesting. You can still buy these, I got mine from Broomhill post office a few years ago, cost around £2, online is perhaps better - much easier to magnify.

Anyone have information on The Ford, at the bottom of Toyne Street. It looks like a row of terraced houses, but it's not there now and I have never heard of it.

Very interesting map, anyone know what year that would be from? The dates on it are vague.

I grew up on Pickmere Road but on the other side which didn't exist when that map was current. I knew it was built on the site of a former quarry but not sure about the dates. There are a few other "missing" roads as well, although there were certainly a lot of quarries in the Crookes area!

Crookes Cemetery opened in 1906 so as there's no sign of it the map must pre-date that, and it's fascinating to think that many of the roads there today were still around way back then. My current road down t'hill in Hillsborough was around, although there's a gap where my house is now. I wonder when and why "Mulehouse Lane" became "Mulehouse Road", and "New Lane" became "Newent Lane"...

Very interesting map, anyone know what year that would be from? The dates on it are vague.

I grew up on Pickmere Road but on the other side which didn't exist when that map was current. I knew it was built on the site of a former quarry but not sure about the dates. There are a few other "missing" roads as well, although there were certainly a lot of quarries in the Crookes area!

Crookes Cemetery opened in 1906 so as there's no sign of it the map must pre-date that, and it's fascinating to think that many of the roads there today were still around way back then. My current road down t'hill in Hillsborough was around, although there's a gap where my house is now. I wonder when and why "Mulehouse Lane" became "Mulehouse Road", and "New Lane" became "Newent Lane"...

The whole map dates from 1896.

Revisions are were made up to 1903

Published in 1905

Revisions are usually due to new roads and developments being reported to the OS. The sequence of revisions is not always historically accurate as different bodies submit information differnently. Also different parts of the map may or may not have been revised.

Also new roads may not have been built/completed by the time of revision or publishing date.

Also some features might have disappeared after 1896.

Road names change because of errors being reported, alternatives reported and the Council changing names to avoid confusion.