Songs that would be great football chants

Sometimes I ear a song and I think how good it would be as a football chant what people do In the crowd. The White Stripes ‘7 Nation Army’ is one that is widely used these days (in darts too for MvG and even in politics for that scruffy Labour guy). Strangely, even the depressing goth song ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ by Joy Division is used in football too (it was mostly for Ryan Giggs but it’s other players also such as that tricky Welshman at Bramall Lane).

But what I really wanna know is: what other songs do you think would be really good for football? Personally I think there’s a lot of potential for the Kraftwerk song ‘Pocket Calculator’ to be a good one. You know the bit between the descriptions of his calculator (“Na na nat nat, na na na nat nanaaaa”). What do you think?

Also, how do we get them 'approved' as football songs?

I started thinking about something similar last week.There was a programme on about Louis Armstrong song 'When The Saints',from the 1930'ies,and it got me wondering how it became an English football chant,suppose it was Southampton fans who adopted it,but Spurs fans say it's their song.

Also I was wondering when crowds first started singing at games,apparently,Norwich were one of the first with a specially written song for them 'On The ball City',from the turn of the last century,and the Livepool Kop started singing local pop stars songs in the mid sixties,but just the actual songs,not adapted for football.

Their are a lot of good books and articles about pop songs and football crowds,very interesting subject,including how the White Stripes song got into stadiums.

I started thinking about something similar last week.There was a programme on about Louis Armstrong song 'When The Saints',from the 1930'ies,and it got me wondering how it became an English football chant,suppose it was Southampton fans who adopted it,but Spurs fans say it's their song.

Also I was wondering when crowds first started singing at games,apparently,Norwich were one of the first with a specially written song for them 'On The ball City',from the turn of the last century,and the Livepool Kop started singing local pop stars songs in the mid sixties,but just the actual songs,not adapted for football.

Their are a lot of good books and articles about pop songs and football crowds,very interesting subject,including how the White Stripes song got into stadiums.

That's interesting about the Scousers in the 60s. I know the obvious You'll Never Walk Again by Jerry Pacemaker but did they sing stuff like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da too? I imagine that'd work really well. Maybe summat like "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Emlyn Hughes oh! Emlyn Emlyn Emlyn Hughes!"

Also, what books are good?

How the Dickens the proclaimers "Sunshine on Leith" became a favourite at Hibs I dont know. I know theyre hibs fans, but that one?

Social media jollies things along now I think. Alot of them start there and go to the stands rather than the other way round.

I'd have thought the affinity with song 'Sunshine on Leith' is an obvious one. The Proclaimers were born in Leith, Hibs supporter & Hibs are based in Leith.

---------- Post added 01-02-2018 at 21:38 ----------

One of my favourite Blades chant from years ago that get very little airing these days is;

'My old man said be a Wednesday fan, I said.....' & if I were to continue, I'd be banned for life from the Sheffield Forum!

Another old favourite; 'Aye aye aye aye, Hodgy is better than Yashin; John Tudor is better than Eusebio & Wednesday are in for a thrashing.'

And Blades fans were singing 'Oo, ah, Bob Booker', a long, long time before even Eric Cantona even joined Man Utd.

I'd have thought the affinity with song 'Sunshine on Leith' is an obvious one. The Proclaimers were born in Leith, Hibs supporter & Hibs are based in Leith.

---------- Post added 01-02-2018 at 21:38 ----------

One of my favourite Blades chant from years ago that get very little airing these days is;

'My old man said be a Wednesday fan, I said.....' & if I were to continue, I'd be banned for life from the Sheffield Forum!

Another old favourite; 'Aye aye aye aye, Hodgy is better than Yashin; John Tudor is better than Eusebio & Wednesday are in for a thrashing.'

And Blades fans were singing 'Oo, ah, Bob Booker', a long, long time before even Eric Cantona even joined Man Utd.

I understand the hibs connection - I even said it. But it's so miserable!