Songs that would be great football chants

I understand the hibs connection - I even said it. But it's so miserable!

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. It's a beautiful song. The subject is obviously at a low point then finds the love of their life for which they're eternally greatful, hence the lines;

'While the Chief, puts Sunshine On Leith

I'll thank him for his work

And your birth and my birth.'

---------- Post added 01-02-2018 at 22:11 ----------

Craig and Charlie Reid were born in Auctermuchty in Fife. Just to get things straight.

Er! Just to get things straight.

Born in Leith. Grew up in Edinburgh, Cornwall & Auchtermuchty (Ooo! I can spell as well). Have a read.

https://www.proclaimers.co.uk/the-story/

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. It's a beautiful song. The subject is obviously at a low point then finds the love of their life for which they're eternally greatful, hence the lines;

'While the Chief, puts Sunshine On Leith

I'll thank him for his work

And your birth and my birth.'

---------- Post added 01-02-2018 at 22:11 ----------

Er! Just to get things straight.

Born in Leith. Grew up in Edinburgh, Cornwall & Auchtermuchty (Ooo! I can spell as well). Have a read.

https://www.proclaimers.co.uk/the-story/

It's not a bad song (I heard it on radio 2 a while back), but it's not a football song. In my opinion anyway.

I'm sure some imaginative hibs supporter could have done something with 500 miles or letter from America. Somebody managed Will Griggs on fire out of 90s euro pop, it can't be that hard!

That's interesting about the Scousers in the 60s. I know the obvious You'll Never Walk Again by Jerry Pacemaker but did they sing stuff like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da too? I imagine that'd work really well. Maybe summat like "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Emlyn Hughes oh! Emlyn Emlyn Emlyn Hughes!"

Also, what books are good?

Google search origins of football chants and you get books and magazine and paper articles come up.

They referenced Liverpool fans singing Cilla Black 'Anyone Who had a Heart'.

It's a bit difficult to follow,but there are loads of songs on here and the chants they match up to:

http://archive.onetouchfootball.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=005946;p=1

Edited by chalga

A common one I heard at a few grounds was the home team crowd behind their goal chanting to the away crowd " I hear the sound of Distant Bums" courtesy of the Jim Reeves classic Distant Drums, it always amused me. All my mates were Rotherham supporters( I Wednesday) and I often went to Millmoor in the 60's. When the players were coming out , the song "Hold Tight" by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mitch and Titch was belting out full blast, the perfect football anthem. Google it if you have never heard it.

There have been football chants and songs since before most of us were born, like many things the 60s and 70s saw the big take off, supporters chanting and singing relevant ditties to the tune of catchy chart songs and also popular TV themes.

Anyone remember Rotherham United winning the Kop choir competition on Sportsnight with Coleman in the early 70s with their rendition of Mighty Quinn ?

---------- Post added 02-02-2018 at 09:52 ----------

Here are youtube links to a handfull, see if you recognise them :

There are hundreds more besides of course add some at your leisure, just not that flaming Annies song :rant:

Edited by Michael_W

There have been football chants and songs since before most of us were born, like many things the 60s and 70s saw the big take off, supporters chanting and singing relevant ditties to the tune of catchy chart songs and also popular TV themes.

Anyone remember Rotherham United winning the Kop choir competition on Sportsnight with Coleman in the early 70s with their rendition of Mighty Quinn ?

---------- Post added 02-02-2018 at 09:52 ----------

Here are youtube links to a handfull, see if you recognise them :

There are hundreds more besides of course add some at your leisure, just not that flaming Annies song :rant:

Thanks for these Mike. I'll bang em on when I get home from work. I remember the Barnsley Red Tykes getting up into the Premiership (honestly LOL!!). They used to sing that Daydream Believer song but proper ripping into Wolf manager Mark McGhee.

Apart from "You'll Never Walk Alone" in the 60's and beyond Liverpool fans adopted "We Are The Champions" by Queen but vocally only don't think they played the record. Mind you, they were winning a lot of championships in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Don't stop scoring baby, you're the one that drives me crazy...PLAYER NAME x2 (must have same number of siller bills as WIGGLE WIGGLE)