A question for believers, is God a gas?

24 minutes ago, Palomar said:

God is eternal, it's right there in the job description. 

A job description that was written by men, thousands of years ago, to to subdue the masses and keep them in line.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hecate said:

So is Henry Kissinger, apparently, but I don't believe he popped up unbidden out of the aether and created the universe either.  Well, maybe the former.

Such a shame Christopher Hitchens didn't get his wish of outliving him. 

Guest ThaBoom
1 hour ago, Hecate said:

That isn't faith though, is it?  Faith maintains that ultimately God did it.  The essence of science is acknowledging that we don't know, and being endlessly curious about finding out. 

And if you're going to believe in a supernatural explanation, which creation myth are you going to go for?  There are plenty to choose from.  Who's right? How are you going to find out?

Where did God come from? 

Not necessarily, faith isn't just that 'God did it' but it could be the most rational explanation- once you have deeply studied/ looked at other possibilities- none which hit the mark.

That isn't even a question- its like asking "who is the bachelor married to?"

If God was created then He wouldn't be God, He would also be dependent- and you cannot have a infinite regress of dependents. 

18 minutes ago, ThaBoom said:

Not necessarily, faith isn't just that 'God did it' but it could be the most rational explanation- once you have deeply studied/ looked at other possibilities- none which hit the mark.

If God was created then He wouldn't be God, He would also be dependent- and you cannot have a infinite regress of dependents. 

The Big Bang (or some future refinement) and evolution hit the mark very well.

Language games such as 'something cannot come from nothing', and 'you cannot have an infinite regress of dependents' just show up the inadequacy of language to talk about a universe made of quantum fields and superposition.

3 hours ago, ThaBoom said:

If you've deeply studied the proposed ideas, found them wanting and consequently rejected them then fair play to you because I can't get my head around most of it.  But because I don't have the maths to get a proper understanding of it all that doesn't mean that I'm going to substitute a supernatural alternative to fill the void.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ThaBoom said:

As you have not "... deeply studied/ looked at other possibilities..." and since you are not conversant with the advances in all aspects of science and understanding(nobody has) then your personal views that "- none which hit the mark" are yours alone. 

Your quaint philosophical arguments might give you justification but hold no water in a mathematical universe.

Guest ThaBoom
23 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

As you have not "... deeply studied/ looked at other possibilities..." and since you are not conversant with the advances in all aspects of science and understanding(nobody has) then your personal views that "- none which hit the mark" are yours alone. 

Your quaint philosophical arguments might give you justification but hold no water in a mathematical universe.

Oh give over...unless you can show me any scientific evidence where something can come out of NOTHING- we mean nothing/ zero.. no mass, atoms, matter.

Secondly,  the fact  the Universe is intelligible, proves it was created! 

You couldn't derive anything if it was total chaos.

I'll add, most of your posts hardly make sense half of the time- like cryptic language 😆 

So excuse me if I don't bother responding 

Edited by ThaBoom

26 minutes ago, ThaBoom said:

Oh give over...unless you can show me any scientific evidence where something can come out of NOTHING- we mean nothing/ zero.. no mass, atoms, matter.

I'll add, most of your posts hardly make sense half of the time- like cryptic language 😆 

It all comes down to which miracles you choose to believe!

Everything suddenly coming from nothing, and what happened, "a millionth of a billionth, of a billionth, of a billionth of a second" - BBC,  after some Big Bang!  :)

Or 12 loaves and fishes feeding a multitude, and some guy from Argentina called Jorge Mario Bergoglio (aka "Pope"), claiming to talk to God, while living in abject luxury surrounded by servants in his own palace! :)

Edited by trastrick

13 minutes ago, ThaBoom said:

You repeat your view that science says that "...something can come out of NOTHING", science does not say or suggest that. Try again.

You forgot energy.

The 'Universe' is becoming more intelligible ever day and nothing except the human mind has been observed that suggest the involvement of a god.

Your understanding of 'chaos' and 'chaotic systems' needs upgrading. Attractive and repelling forces exist within chaotic systems and energy will transfer will be at work resulting in structure.

A faith is a must if come up with  a deduction like "Universe is intelligible, proves it was created".

Much as I appreciate the contribution that science has made to the world, scientists have been known to be wrong on occasion - lots of occasions actually. In fact they're well known for contradicting not only each other, but themselves from time to time.

'Science' is not the infallible 'truth' that some people seem to think it is.

Much of it is speculation and unproven theory. 

Edited by Anna B