A question for believers, is God a gas?

Wouldn't it be better to encourage a child not to believe something without a good reason for doing so?

Is it a good to completely ignore the spirituality of life? Serious question.

Personally I think that's a good reason. If a child learns nothing of it in school and nothing at home, where will they learn it? They need to know about it even if only to reject it. What's wrong with the 'some people believe...' approach.

A lot of life is built round religious festivals for example. Should schools ignore Christmas and Easter? English History is bound up with religious extremism. How can history be taught with no understanding of a God? It permeates our everyday life more than we realise.

Is it a good to completely ignore the spirituality of life? Serious question.

'Spirituality of life' what does that even mean?

Personally I think that's a good reason. If a child learns nothing of it in school and nothing at home, where will they learn it? They need to know about it even if only to reject it. What's wrong with the 'some people believe...' approach.

It isn't a case of rejecting it, that's shifting the burden of proof, something should only be taught when there's evidence to justify believing it to be true.

Religious education is the place for 'some people believe' but it should include all the gods people believe in.

A lot of life is built round religious festivals for example. Should schools ignore Christmas and Easter?

I'd prefer schools were secular, so I wouldn't have a problem in them not promoting Christian festivals.

English History is bound up with religious extremism. How can history be taught with no understanding of a God? It permeates our everyday life more than we realise.

I don't accept your claim that studying English history needs an understanding of the Christian god.

'Spirituality of life' what does that even mean?

It isn't a case of rejecting it, that's shifting the burden of proof, something should only be taught when there's evidence to justify believing it to be true.

Religious education is the place for 'some people believe' but it should include all the gods people believe in.

I'd prefer schools were secular, so I wouldn't have a problem in them not promoting Christian festivals.

I don't accept your claim that studying English history needs an understanding of the Christian god.[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a) That's what the religious education curriculum does. It's called 'Comparative Religion' or 'World Religion' but how can you teach it if children have no concept of what a 'God' is?

b)Try teaching the Crusades, or Henry Vlll and the Tudors without it, and more or less everything to do with Royalty and the succesion since. Why the Pilgrim father's left for America, Oliver Cromwell, Bonnie Prince Charlie, the Glorious Revolution, why we had to go to the German house of Hanover for a King, the Irish problem, and so on. Religion is emeshed right through British history.

Edited by Anna B

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a) That's what the religious education curriculum does. It's called 'Comparative Religion' or 'World Religion' but how can you teach it if children have no concept of what 'God' is?

b)Try teaching the Crusades, or Henry Vlll and the Tudors without it, and more or less everything to do with Royalty and the succesion since. Why the Pilgrim father's left for America, Oliver Cromwell, Bonnie Prince Charlie, the Glorious Revolution, why we had to go to the German house of Hanover for a King, the Irish problem, and so on. Religion is emeshed right through British history.

A) which god are you talking about?

B) You've still not justified why anyone would need to 'know the nature of God' to study those aspects of history

Also still waiting to hear about the 'Spirituality of Life'.

Edited by SnailyBoy

A) which god are you talking about?

B) You've still not justified why anyone would need to 'know the nature of God' to study those aspects of history

Also still waiting to hear about the 'Spirituality of Life'.

'Spitituality of life was a clumsy phrase, maybe I should just have used the word 'Spirituality' instead.

I believe everyone has it whether they like it or not; whole books have been written trying to define it, so I can hardly do it justice here. But I do believe you can nurture it (in which case I believe you will be the richer for it,) or you can ignore it. Which is fair enough.

However,

Sometimes children ask the most profound questions, which are begging for a spiritual response of some sort. I would always preface this 'Well, I believe..... but....' to try and give both sides.

I didn't say anything about needing to know the 'nature of God,' to teach history, but you have to acknowledge that people have died for their religion, not just in wars, but as a point of principle. (Why did Mary Tudor burn people at the stake, Miss'? 'Why did Thomas More have his head cut off, Miss?' 'Why didn't people just sign the act of Supremacy Miss?' 'What's excommunication mean, Miss?....)

Which God am I talking about? All of them, God, Yarwae, Allah etc - all same Deity by different names to me. That's why fighting wars over them is pointless.

Edited by Anna B

'Spitituality of life was a clunsy phrase, maybe I should just have used the word 'Spirituality' instead.

I believe everyone has it whether they like it or not; whole books have been written trying to define it, so I can hardly do it justice here. But I do believe you can nurture it (in which case I believe you will be the richer for it,) or you can ignore it. Which is fair enough.

Has what exactly, what are you describing, how do you prove it?

Edit - If you can't define it, why do you believe it?

However,

Sometimes children ask the most profound questions, which are begging for a spiritual response of some sort. I would always preface this 'Well, I believe..... but....' to try and give both sides.

What is a spiritual response?

I didn't say anything about needing to know the 'nature of God,' to teach history, but you have to acknowledge that people have died for their religion, not just in wars, but as a point of principle. (Why did Mary Tudor burn people at the stake, Miss'? 'Why did Thomas More have his head cut off, Miss?' 'Why didn't people just sign the act of Supremacy Miss?' 'What's excommunication mean, Miss?....)

Which God am I talking about? All of them, God, Yarwae, Allah etc - all same Deity by different names to me. That's why fighting wars over them is pointless.

Well you said you would need 'understanding of God' to help teach history, which is frankly nonsense.

Edited by SnailyBoy

Has what exactly, what are you describing, how do you prove it?

Edit - If you can't define it, why do you believe i

What is a spiritual response?

Well you said you would need 'understanding of God' to help teach history, which is frankly nonsense.

Like I said, whole books have been written trying to describe spirituality, so it's a bit harsh to expect me to do it here. All I can say, is it's nothing particularly to do with religion; it's a feeling, a deep, fundamental feeling, that there is more to this world than that which we can simply see and touch, or define by any of the 5 senses.

It's an acknowledgement that there is something far greater inside you (and outside you,) than the sum of its parts. It depends on personal faith, I can't prove it, I don't think anyone can. But it does seem to be a human trait; a human need; there's even a special part of the brain that seems to be dedicated to it. And it's a feeling that goes back to early primordial man, according to finds by archeologists.

And it's truly the most wonderful thing when you experience it.

Edited by Anna B