The first Britons were black

I'm afraid not, the OP and the BBC only see people in terms of the colour of their skin. Hence the reason behind this thread.

Cheddar Man, who lived about 10,000 years ago, has a Middle Eastern origin, suggesting that his ancestors left Africa, moved into the Middle East and later headed west into Europe.

Current Scientific belief is that populations living in Europe became lighter-skinned over time because pale skin absorbs more sunlight, which is required to produce vitamin D.

So darker skin evolved into lighter skin, possibly when farming replaced hunter gathering, which meant less vitamin D in the diet.

This is spot on,we developed white skin to absorb more vitamin d because of the lack of sunshine in the northern hemisphere.My mate is half Asian and he suffers badly from psoriasis so he has to take vitamin d supplements to help him.The doctor told him it was a common problem for dark skinned people living in Britain.Very little food has vitamin d in it naturally so we have to rely on sunshine which is a big problem in Britain.I take vitamin d supplements as well because we do not get enough vitamin d from sunlight in Britain, whatever our colour.

I'm afraid not, the OP and the BBC only see people in terms of the colour of their skin. Hence the reason behind this thread.

Cheddar Man, who lived about 10,000 years ago, has a Middle Eastern origin, suggesting that his ancestors left Africa, moved into the Middle East and later headed west into Europe.

Current Scientific belief is that populations living in Europe became lighter-skinned over time because pale skin absorbs more sunlight, which is required to produce vitamin D.

So darker skin evolved into lighter skin, possibly when farming replaced hunter gathering, which meant less vitamin D in the diet.

No, it's not. Current thinking is that lighter skinned populations moved in from outside Europe around 6000 years ago and supplanted/bred out the resident dark skinned population.

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 11:37 ----------

No, it's not. Current thinking is that lighter skinned populations moved in from outside Europe around 6000 years ago and supplanted/bred out the resident dark skinned population. Your final sentence still stands however.

No, it's not. Current thinking is that lighter skinned populations moved in from outside Europe around 6000 years ago and supplanted/bred out the resident dark skinned population.

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 11:37 ----------

No, it's not. Current thinking is that lighter skinned populations moved in from outside Europe around 6000 years ago and supplanted/bred out the resident dark skinned population. Your final sentence still stands however.

Do you have a link to that theory.Id be very interested in reading it as it contradicts the thinking i was taught at school.I am all for seeing new evidence to current thinking.

Hate to disappoint you all but it appears that we're all descended from a rat in Dorset!

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-evolution-human-origins/earliest-known-human-ancestor-what-009094

When I heard about Cheddar Man, I though that's the worst character Stan Lee has ever thought up.

If the new theory that we're all descended from Cheddar Man is true, what a problem for the media luvvies if it's his story is turned into a drama?

Do we get Benedict Cumberbatch to 'black up' or do we give the main part to Idris Elba & have 'white down' & wear blue contact lenses? Either way, someone's going to be antagonised.