£4bn Tesco equal pay claim madness

The world middle class media has lost its mind thanks to ambulance chasing lawyers.

Here's how it is kids;

Tesco pays men and women the same in the warehouse

Tesco pays men and women the same in the store.

Different jobs. Different pay. Men & women paid the same for the same job.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/07/tesco-equal-pay-claim-could-cost-supermarket-up-to-4bn

Tesco is facing a demand for up to £4bn in back pay from thousands of mainly female shopworkers in what could become the UK’s largest ever equal pay claim.

A law firm has launched legal action on behalf of nearly 100 shop assistants who say they earn as much as £3 an hour less than male warehouse workers in similar roles. Up to 200,000 shopfloor staff could be affected by the claim, which could cost Tesco up to £20,000 per worker in back pay over at least six years.

Tesco warehouse staff earn from about £8.50 an hour up to more than £11 an hour while store staff earn about £8 an hour in basic pay, according to the claim. The disparity could mean a full-time distribution worker earning over £5,000 a year more than store-based staff.

Tesco warehouse staff earn from about £8.50 an hour up to more than £11 an hour while store staff earn about £8 an hour in basic pay, according to the claim. The disparity could mean a full-time distribution worker earning over £5,000 a year more than store-based staff.

Is that all they get paid ?

Maybe tesco should start paying their staff a decent salary so they don’t have to top up their wages with benefits paid for by my taxes ?

Different jobs. Different pay.

Not necessarily, it depends upon whether the work has been determined to be of equal value.

Leigh Day, the law firm who are representing the employees, also acted in a similar claim on behalf of ASDA employees and say on their website “In June 2016 the Employment Tribunal found that lower paid female ASDA workers, could compare themselves to higher paid men who work in ASDA's distribution centres”.

https://www.leighday.co.uk/News/News-2018/February-2018/Leigh-Day-launch-£4bn-equal-pay-claim-against-TESC

Is that all they get paid ?

Maybe tesco should start paying their staff a decent salary so they don’t have to top up their wages with benefits paid for by my taxes ?

Single people don't get working benefits when working full time, you are paying for their childrens iphones.

---------- Post added 07-02-2018 at 19:41 ----------

Leigh Day, the law firm who are representing the employees, also acted in a similar claim on behalf of ASDA employees and say on their website “In June 2016 the Employment Tribunal found that lower paid female ASDA workers, could compare themselves to higher paid men who work in ASDA's distribution centres”.

Would the distribution centers be in a location that needed a car driver, where as supermarkets tend to be easily accessible?

Are employers allowed to differentiate, even if the role has similar duties?

Or the higher paid women lifting and carrying in the distribution depot. Or the lower paid men sitting on checkout in store.

Because it is madness I fully expect Tesco to roll over and reduce men's wages.

I have work for the same company for 10 years, when I started the mostly male drivers were paid more than the female workers, the females then got equal pay, it was in the national press.

The females then did a two day training course, and got 10p an hour more. Austerity happened and we were both paid the same; then the mostly male drivers got a re-grade and are now paid significantly more.

Single people don't get working benefits when working full time, you are paying for their childrens iphones.

I pay tesco when I shop there.

I pay a second time when tesco dodge their taxes, meaning I have to suffer their immoral lack of financial contribution to society by either paying more tax, or by receiving less public services.

I pay a third time when my taxes, rather than going to our NHS or our schools as I would prefer, are funnelled towards in-work benefits so tesco can get away with not having to pay their staff a fair wage.

Every little (taxdodger) helps (themselves)

Are employers allowed to differentiate, even if the role has similar duties?

Employers can justify a difference in pay for work of an equal value if they can establish that the difference is due to a ‘material factor’ i.e there is a genuine reason that is not related to gender.