Simplifying ideologies

The average conservative is simple ;)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/millennial-media/201304/do-racism-conservatism-and-low-iq-go-hand-in-hand

Interesting reading

Hodson and Busseri (2012) found in a correlational study that lower intelligence in childhood is predictive of greater racism in adulthood, with this effect being mediated (partially explained) through conservative ideology. They also found poor abstract reasoning skills were related to homophobic attitudes which was mediated through authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact.

What this study and those before it suggest is not necessarily that all liberals are geniuses and all conservatives are ignorant. Rather, it makes conclusions based off of averages of groups. The idea is that for those who lack a cognitive ability to grasp complexities of our world, strict-right wing ideologies may be more appealing.

Accusing others of being simple is not something to be undertaken without forethought.

I don't believe that you habitually browse 5 year old Psychology Today articles.

it just popped up and i found it interesting, dont you find it interesting?

Shouldn't that be the average American Conservative as that is what the Hodson and Busseri article was about?

is there a psychological / physical difference? the ideologies are the same, i'd say somebody like trump has the same mind set as say farage or nick griffin, theres a lack of empathy and logical, deep thinking

is there a psychological / physical difference? the ideologies are the same, i'd say somebody like trump has the same mind set as say farage or nick griffin, theres a lack of empathy and logical, deep thinking

Yeah! Like Abraham Lincoln! What a monster he was!

Not so sure that the ideologies are the same. Just look at the differences in religious makeup and tolerance of the US conservatives who make up the majority of the Republicans, and you will see they differ greatly from UK conservatism.

Mel, I think you're misinterpreting a bit. Conclusion isn't that average conservative is simple. Conclusion of the research paper is that lower IQ in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood and this effect is mediated by conservative ideology.