Firvale workhouse

babysmith

5 hours ago, findingGiles said:

i lived in worksop for 41 years but dont know the Wharbutons im afraid :( @Slighty batty

The Warburton’s stayed in Sheffield. Mum said cousin Giles used to visit them occasionally. He was only 8 days younger than my grandpa and apparently Louisa used to babysit all the Warburton children, so Giles and grandpa probably grew up together almost like twins! Louisa by  the way was a twin, but her twin sister Florence died when she was only 3 months old. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, findingGiles said:

omg ignore me, i got that mixed up!!  elsie and giles i wonder how they ended up in worksop

Giles’s eldest sister Madeline (born 1891) had married a chap called Percy Tomlinson. He was a farm labourer and looking at the birthplaces of their children he moved about a bit. Percy and Madeline were living in Hodsock near Worksop in 1921 and had a daughter born in Worksop in 1920, the same year that Giles married Elsie. Elsie was born in Worksop according to the 1921 census. Maybe Giles met Elsie while he was visiting Worksop to see his sister? Or maybe he’d been lodging at his sister’s house and when she moved out to Worksop he went with her?  Another possibility is that the colliery there might have been paying better money, miners did often move about if they could get better pay at a different pit.

• Thanks 1