What are the places to avoid?

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to the Sheffield area (or within a 20 mile radius) and I was wondering which places (areas, streets, towns etc...) we're good places to move to and which should be avoided like the plague.

Thanks in advance.

whirlow, dore, totley, bradway, fulwood, nether green, bents green, ecclesall, broomhill, all good areas but you would be paying over £180k for a 3 bed 1960's semi and obviously much more for a detached.

rivlin valley, greenhill, meadowhead, beauchief, crooks, walkley, woodseats, hillsborough, meersbrook, grenoside, again all decent areas but not as posh as the above.

gleedless, pitsmoor, burngreave, fir vale, lowedges, batemoor, jordanthorpe, manor, wybourne, park hill, arborthorne, upperthorpe, woodhouse, handsworth, darnall, nethorthorpe, exeter drive, avoid if possible, property here will be cheaper than the above areas - for obvious reasons.

please dont take offence if you live in the areas that i said to avoid. I've never lived there and I'm only going on hearsay. please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

hope this helps.

hi again

I'll revise my post

how much cash do you have?

what kind of a house do you want?

where are you now?

where will you work or study?

what do you like doing?

do you have a car?

do you have kids?

town or country?

Answer all the above honestly :) and the computer can tell you precisely LOL

d

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to the Sheffield area (or within a 20 mile radius) and I was wondering which places (areas, streets, towns etc...) we're good places to move to and which should be avoided like the plague.

Thanks in advance.

I think you'll have to give us more wants as 20 mile incorporates Rotherham and even Barnsley.

whirlow, dore, totley, bradway, fulwood, nether green, bents green, ecclesall, broomhill, all good areas but you would be paying over £180k for a 3 bed 1960's semi and obviously much more for a detached.

rivlin valley, greenhill, meadowhead, beauchief, crooks, walkley, woodseats, hillsborough, meersbrook, grenoside, again all decent areas but not as posh as the above.

gleedless, pitsmoor, burngreave, fir vale, lowedges, batemoor, jordanthorpe, manor, wybourne, park hill, arborthorne, upperthorpe, woodhouse, handsworth, darnall, nethorthorpe, exeter drive, avoid if possible, property here will be cheaper than the above areas - for obvious reasons.

please dont take offence if you live in the areas that i said to avoid. I've never lived there and I'm only going on hearsay. please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

hope this helps.

Woah!

Here-say is a wonderful thing it seems :loopy:

My opinion is :

Perfect Areas: Fulwood, Dore (some of), Whirlow, Totley (the odd bit), Bents Green. But yeh you will pay premium prices for homes here !

Good Areas: Some of Handsworth, Woodhouse Mill, bits of Woodhouse, Eckington (some of), Mosborough, Frecheville and parts of Gleadless Valley and the Manor.

Student Areas (which I personally would rather sleep rough than live in but you might like the night life/ atmosphere): Crookes, Ecclesall (some of it is ok), Broomhill, Town Centre, Bramall Lane/London Road area, Walkley & Meersbrook.

Places I wouldn't live in rent free: Rivelin valley, Greenhill, Meadowhead, Woodseats, Hillsborough ... these areas attract trouble with a magnet (this is from my experience of living in or having family/friends living in these areas.

Places to avoid like the Plague: Pitsmoor, Burngreave, Lowedges, Batemoor, some parts of the Manor, Wybourne, park hill, Arborthorne.

Places I have no experience of: Fir Vale, Jordanthorpe, Birley, Upperthorpe, Netherthorpe & Darnall.

To be honest the best thing to do (which I always do) is look around at different times of day and night (which is more important!) and see how you feel about it. I personally would hate to live anywhere near students but other people don't mind it!

Other people who have never lived in certain areas of Sheffield hear one bad (usually made up) story and then they decide its a s***hole when it isn't the case.

Its generally one or two bad eggs that ruin it for everyone in an area anyway.

It really depends on your budget too and what kind of person you are... if you go out looking for trouble in any area you will find it !!!

Archived