What are the places to avoid?

Student Areas (which I personally would rather sleep rough than live in but you might like the night life/ atmosphere): Crookes, Ecclesall (some of it is ok), Broomhill, Town Centre, Bramall Lane/London Road area, Walkley & Meersbrook.

Again, Ecclesall is not a student area. I assume you're referring to the Ecclesall Road area as opposed to the suburb located between Bents Green, Greystones, Carter Knowle and Whirlow.

Again, Ecclesall is not a student area. I assume you're referring to the Ecclesall Road area as opposed to the suburb located between Bents Green, Greystones, Carter Knowle and Whirlow.

Ecclesall Road South is nice. I wouldn't personally live in the rest of it.

Ecclesall Road South is nice. I wouldn't personally live in the rest of it.

But the "rest of it" isn't Ecclesall - that's my point. Ecclesall is the area centred around Ecclesall Parish Church. People lump in the whole of Ecclesall Road as being Ecclesall either through assumption or being mislead by estate agents, but really Ecclesall only starts at Ecclesall Rd South (and all the roads off it - Gisbourne Rd, Ringinglow Rd, Knowle Lane, Dobcroft Rd, etc), and finishes just before Whirlow.

DON'T EVEN SAY HANDSWORTH IS BAD....Handsworth is a really nice community. to other people it may seem rough n **** but when you move there, you find a really nice atmosphere. I previously lived in Totley and i found they were really stuck up and never said hello (only a small minority though) but everyone in Handsworth is like hello and how r u 2day n stuff...don't dis the S13...although i still do live in totley aswell as my other house is there so i am kind of offending my self by sayin it is stuck up. I think all areas of sheffield have there good sides and bad sides even dore and totley....

Sam

I just moved to sheffield(Brightside/Grimethorpe) and I've spent most of my life in wibsey/buttershaw area in bradford. In comparison, very nice place, my sister lives in hillsborough, and she likes it there. There is no brush you can wave over sheffield to pinpoint trouble spots, and rarely will you find large trouble spots, just overlapping areas where people make trouble. Find a place you're comfortable with move in, spend 6 months, see how it goes. Tend to find no matter how bad the rep, it's the immediate neighbours that you'll notice the most. If they are horrible, you won't enjoy the area anyway.

I just moved to sheffield(Brightside/Grimethorpe) and I've spent most of my life in wibsey/buttershaw area in bradford. In comparison, very nice place, my sister lives in hillsborough, and she likes it there. There is no brush you can wave over sheffield to pinpoint trouble spots, and rarely will you find large trouble spots, just overlapping areas where people make trouble. Find a place you're comfortable with move in, spend 6 months, see how it goes. Tend to find no matter how bad the rep, it's the immediate neighbours that you'll notice the most. If they are horrible, you won't enjoy the area anyway.

Too true. We've several friends living/lived within 5 minutes walk of us. Of them only one has had a bad experience of living in the area, and that was entirely down to an ongoing row between the neighbours either side of him. We've great neighbours and neighbours of some of our other friends I've bumped into have been very friendly. It makes a difference. The area has a lot going for it. It's a shame our friend with the inconsiderate neighbour didn't get the chance to enjoy it more as a result (moved to London now with his job).

Incidentally, I used to work in Fir Vale. I can't say I ever felt uncomfortable walking around the area (worked until the early hours of the morning on a few occasions). One a few occasions I wondered off the main roads and found some fantastic big old houses on tree-lined roads, generally in much better condition than the places you tend to see on the main road. I think quite a bit of Sheffield - particularly around there - is like that.

you know not many people would say they are working class nowadays, but thats what we are all, we work therefore we are! but what does that make people on dole? hmmm, confusing

Speak for yourself. Only around 45 - 50% of the population is working class by the most commonly accepted definition. The topic has been done to death but this isn't the thread for it. Try: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39236

Archived