What are the places to avoid?

whirlow, dore, totley, bradway, fulwood, nether green, bents green, ecclesall, broomhill, all good areas but you would be paying over £180k for a 3 bed 1960's semi and obviously much more for a detached.

rivlin valley, greenhill, meadowhead, beauchief, crooks, walkley, woodseats, hillsborough, meersbrook, grenoside, again all decent areas but not as posh as the above.

gleedless, pitsmoor, burngreave, fir vale, lowedges, batemoor, jordanthorpe, manor, wybourne, park hill, arborthorne, upperthorpe, woodhouse, handsworth, darnall, nethorthorpe, exeter drive, avoid if possible, property here will be cheaper than the above areas - for obvious reasons.

please dont take offence if you live in the areas that i said to avoid. I've never lived there and I'm only going on hearsay. please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

hope this helps.

Really Jen, I think you must be corrected on this one. Upperthorpe and most of the areas you have told the OP to avoid are probably the ones with the best community & friendly people living in them. Whereas Whirlow, Dore, Totley etc etc no-one ever speaks to each other because they're all in competition with each other as to how much they earn, how much their houses are worth, which private school their kids go to. Honestly, hearsay isn't always the best way to get your information.:)

i'm a single female who works full time in a so called professional job and some of the areas that others have said to avoid are perfectly fine - i've lived all over sheffield on my own and have friends who have too, again in areas that people have said to avoid and some of the more thought of run down areas are much more friendly and you get a much more cosmopolitan and ethnically mixed group of people which i think is much better. i'm in upperthorpe at moment and find it really friendly - neighbours and local shops/businesses etc. i've never felt intimidated or uncomfortable, even when walking home late at night - depends what you want i suppose!

nice one rubiomk2, glad you're happy in Upperthorpe. See you around :)

Hi

Just want to say I used to live at Crookes until around 2 years ago, i'd lived there since birth and had noticed a rapid decline in the last year or so that i lived there. I have since moved to Southey Green and haven't had any trouble, if anything there has been more trouble in Crookes than here.

(i work in Crookes and my family still live there, for those of you who think i'm making assumptions!!!)

Sorry but it is, If you are skilled you can pay more for a better house needing attention and do the work yourselves etc, where as if you are totally unskilled you'll need to be buying already done up house. When it comes to areas, we've lived in different areas of sheffield and had problems where you'd think not and visa versa. Handsworth like everywhere has good and bad (i found most very clicky, not liking new comers, hard to fit in) though would still live there again. There are bad things happening everywhere now and it really does depend on what you want and can afford.

Different people will tell you different things about areas based on their opinions/experiences, it's you and your gut instinct that has the last say.

Good Luck.

Hi

Just want to say I used to live at Crookes until around 2 years ago, i'd lived there since birth and had noticed a rapid decline in the last year or so that i lived there. I have since moved to Southey Green and haven't had any trouble, if anything there has been more trouble in Crookes than here.

(i work in Crookes and my family still live there, for those of you who think i'm making assumptions!!!)

now live at southey green,must agree with you no trouble at all,not compaired to shirecliffe where i lived for 7 years:thumbsup:

DON'T EVEN SAY HANDSWORTH IS BAD....Handsworth is a really nice community. to other people it may seem rough n **** but when you move there, you find a really nice atmosphere. I previously lived in Totley and i found they were really stuck up and never said hello (only a small minority though) but everyone in Handsworth is like hello and how r u 2day n stuff...don't dis the S13...although i still do live in totley aswell as my other house is there so i am kind of offending my self by sayin it is stuck up. I think all areas of sheffield have there good sides and bad sides even dore and totley....

Sam

I totally agree, how can anyone have an opinion on areas of Sheffield when all they have to go on is HEARSAY! I have lived in Handsworth all my life, i went to both Primary and Secondary School there and am looking to buy a house in Handsworth with my Partner. It is one big community where anyone will help anyone. There is plenty to do in Handsworth, an excellent selection of friendly pubs, convenient shops on your door stop and a good selection of schools! Unless you know something for definite about an area you have no right to make a comment. I would recommend anyone to live in Handsworth and from the first day you walk into a pub there you will be known forever and always acknowledged! :hihi:

Not being funny but all these people slagging Dore off and I know it aint perfect Whirlow is the best area in Sheffield imo but are you saying if you were offered a house in say Lowedges or the same house in Dore you would choose to live in Lowedges?

I have lived in Greenhill for the last eight years.

Gr8 place. People really nice. Spar shop, the chinese place next to it gr8 as well. John from Real Estates is decent (and remembers your name). They have opened a new ironing shop near the corner which is also good news. A fantastic dental surgery, butchers, bakers ---- what more do you need?

In addition, there are a number of supermarkets, good links to motorways, bus routes.

Greenhill primary is also excellent with well rounded education.

garryparry

Archived