Women are weaker than men

The outrage is in this country.

The country used to be a premier destination in the 1970s for sex tourism for adults, including gay men. Sex tourism declined because of HIV fears but has returned, including child sex tourism.

Haiti suffers from extreme poverty, with much of the population living on less than a dollar a day; those with no other resources often turn to prostitution.

After the 2010 earthquake, many prostitutes from the Dominican Republic crossed over the border, searching out clients amongst the aid workers and UN personal. Dominican women command a premium because of their lighter skin.

It doesn't alter the fact that you are condoning charity workers breaking the law in countries they operate in.

I can only thank you for providing a personal and unique example that shows the individual's capacity to function perfectly well both within and outside the wright/wrong parameters of the current manufactured outrage, held back only by the **** happens stuff of life that really does highlight the need to recognise the individual above the group.

You should always be clear whether you're talking about averages or individuals. Looking at groups can be useful, for example when setting public policy. Looking at group characteristics is far less helpful when dealing with an individual.

In terms of physical strength, men are on average, stronger than women.

Which is not to say that all men are stronger than all women, obviously.

In your opening post and title though you didn't clarify 'physically', nor did you specify that we were talking about groups or averages.

Your segue into pain and childbirth appears to be entirely without merit though, unless you have references that show some sort of objective measure of the level of pain involved.

I think I've read that women (as a group, and on average) have a slightly higher pain threshold than men.

Oh, and your assertion that lifestyle doesn't affect longevity is complete nonsense, as a cursory review of the literature and evidence would demonstrate. The logic you've used to link economic prosperity and longevity doesn't even slightly go to prove that lifestyle is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 11-02-2018 at 20:22 ----------

The more prosperous the nation, the longer women live, indicating that lifestyle isn't contributory to underlying lifetime health.

The longer everyone lives actually. But that doesn't go anyway to disproving that lifestyle affects longevity. Longevity is a multi factorial issue anyway, and clearly economic prosperity of a country will be a factor which strongly affects lifestyle in itself.

It doesn't alter the fact that you are condoning charity workers breaking the law in countries they operate in.

They should not be doing it, but the Government threatening to remove a very large charities ability to carry on doing good work, is OVER THE TOP.

They should not be doing it, but the Government threatening to remove a very large charities ability to carry on doing good work, is OVER THE TOP.

I agree the government has overreacted. An investigation of some sort would be more appropriate - especially as in the past some aid workers have exchanged food for sex in famine hit areas.

You mentioning the government overreacting after so many posts in this thread arguing something else does look a bit like what-about-ism.

You mentioning the government overreacting after so many posts in this thread arguing something else does look a bit like what-about-ism.

The only person I know that has used prostitutes is a railway worker, I dont think his employers will be blamed for his moral lapse.

You should always be clear whether you're talking about averages or individuals. Looking at groups can be useful, for example when setting public policy. Looking at group characteristics is far less helpful when dealing with an individual.

In terms of physical strength, men are on average, stronger than women.

Which is not to say that all men are stronger than all women, obviously.

In your opening post and title though you didn't clarify 'physically', nor did you specify that we were talking about groups or averages.

Your segue into pain and childbirth appears to be entirely without merit though, unless you have references that show some sort of objective measure of the level of pain involved.

I think I've read that women (as a group, and on average) have a slightly higher pain threshold than men.

Oh, and your assertion that lifestyle doesn't affect longevity is complete nonsense, as a cursory review of the literature and evidence would demonstrate. The logic you've used to link economic prosperity and longevity doesn't even slightly go to prove that lifestyle is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 11-02-2018 at 20:22 ----------

The longer everyone lives actually. But that doesn't go anyway to disproving that lifestyle affects longevity. Longevity is a multi factorial issue anyway, and clearly economic prosperity of a country will be a factor which strongly affects lifestyle in itself.

We keep having to do this. Go back, read it again, have a think before replying. There's no ambiguity as you claimed somewhere else, you just haven't understood the words, yet again. Start with the part you quoted after incorrectly trying to dissect it and alleging things that I didn't say. When you've done that we can talk, and not before.

---------- Post added 12-02-2018 at 09:42 ----------

ENG601PM you still haven't explained your bizarre childbirth sentence. You said ''I have reasonable doubts that childbirth is more painful''.

What did you mean?

It's a fair question and I accept that there is no fixed answer and the science of pain is very raw, hence my doubts, albeit I feel reasonable ones. But by all means bring my knowledge up to date with some data instead of just saying that it's "bizarre".

IIUI (and I am not a scientist) the body is very good at tuning out the pain that childbirth should bring on. Other pain too. The biological mechanisms are uncertain, but the overall effect is that childbirth is not more painful than other things.

I'll also throw in that since every women is told that childbirth is the most painful thing ever that there is a general social construct that has made it so, even if it isn't. You're some kind of nurse aren't you - so you'll be very well aware of placebos, and that they work in reverse too.

Just a few thoughts for discussion, do you have something to move the discussion on in a friendly way?

---------- Post added 12-02-2018 at 09:44 ----------

say what you mean or asking its a bit generic, to say the least, are you on about equal pay?

It is generic phil, and I intended it to be so, but the thrust is that individual traits are more useful to society than generic identities arising from women vs men.

---------- Post added 12-02-2018 at 09:50 ----------

No but it seems to be a manufactured moral outrage more than any worry about what two people decide to do between themselves. I've not followed it very closely but the story seems to be Head honchos employed Haitian hookers. I've not seen much consideration of whether it is anyone's business apart from the people involved.

I understand that Oxfam might want their people to uphold certain standards while on assignment but they were dismissed and that was that. Did they do anything apart from employ prostitutes, like paying them with Oxfam's money, run a bread for blowjobs campaign, or similar that I've not read about?

It's a fair question and I accept that there is no fixed answer and the science of pain is very raw, hence my doubts, albeit I feel reasonable ones. But by all means bring my knowledge up to date with some data instead of just saying that it's "bizarre".

The bizarre thing is that you said ''I have reasonable doubts that childbirth is more painful''.

To say it is more painful implies comparison with some other pain.

Without such a comparison, it's a meaningless sentence.

The bizarre thing is that you said ''I have reasonable doubts that childbirth is more painful''.

To say it is more painful implies comparison with some other pain.

Without such a comparison, it's a meaningless sentence.

I appreciate that you want to catch me out so to speak, but your question is equally meaningless since I specifically wrote "every women is told that childbirth is the most painful thing ever".

The comparison you seek is answered by folklore, but since that's not very helpful and we seem to agree that the actual science is inconclusive do you have something to contribute that makes it more conclusive one way or the other?

Or do you just want to shout me down without offering the merest hint of a reason? I think we both know which is is H, but as ever you can prove me wrong.