E.G.R. valve blank off plate.

Tried it on my elderly VW 1.9TDI, couldn't really tell much difference, but pressure built in the cooler pipe and caused an oil leak, so removed the plate. Never had an engine light come on, must like all the veg oil it runs on! Still on the original exhaust after 17 years.

But if the MOT rules are being made tighter, will it fail because its now non-standard and may fail its emissions test?

---------- Post added 12-02-2018 at 19:32 ----------

Completely blanking the EGR will most likely cause the EML to come on, this will now cause an MOT failure, under the new rules.

---------- Post added 12-02-2018 at 19:41 ----------

Is section 12 the relevant section, I an trying to find out what these new rules are.

The link says 'draft'.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/671818/mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

You can blank off an egr valve without it being obvious and for the last 6 years my transit has passed its mot test no problem.

Blanking the egr valve throws up the eml on some vehicles and not all of them.

---------- Post added 13-02-2018 at 06:30 ----------

Has any one any thoughts if it is worth fitting a E.G.R. valve blanking plate on 1.6 h.d.i diesel Citroen.

Have a read of this thread on the Citroen forum= http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?18346-diesel-egr-valve-blanking

You can blank off an egr valve without it being obvious and for the last 6 years my transit has passed its mot test no problem.

Blanking the egr valve throws up the eml on some vehicles and not all of them.

---------- Post added 13-02-2018 at 06:30 ----------

Have a read of this thread on the Citroen forum= http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?18346-diesel-egr-valve-blanking

Cheers looks good.

Which is fine but the point being made is that the regulations are changing this year so it may not any more.

No it won't.....

Expert are you...

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valves recirculate a portion of the exhaust gas from the engine (5% to 15%) back into the combustion process. This ensures that the fuel gets completely burned while decreasing the production of harmful gases such as nitrous oxide.

I don't know about the Citroen but I did it to the two Discovery's we have had, and it did make a noticeable difference. Both were quite old and a bit "gummed up" with years of breathing exhaust gasses.

They were an idea of the EU I believe, a total waste of money. The ICE engine requires fuel and clean air, not some of an engine's exhaust gas.

Angel1.

Oh blame the EU for not maintaining your car hmmm...?

The reason they "got better" was you stopped leaking exhaust gas through the gummed up valve when you shouldnt have. If you'd fitted it with anew valve or just cleaned the old one, then you would have seen an even better response.

EGR valves are proven to reduce NO2 emissions. Imagine that. Something that has almost no cost and reduces pollution - yet you decide to turn it into an ill informed uneducated whine about the nasty lot in Brussels, who I dont think ever mandated they must be used....

But hey it's something you dont like - lets lie and blame the EU!