E.G.R. valve blank off plate.

Its a very popular and easy fix. The 1.6 diesel engine in Pugs and Citroen's benefits the most, especially in curing that 1800rpm hesitation bug that plagues these engines.

Sadly, a new EGR valve won't sort it.

But don't do it if your car is running fine.

Is it best to drill a hole in the blanking plate please.

I have read that it makes more smoke, so I am glad I am not driving behind it. The newer the car, the cleaner the emissions.

Less smoke, because the engine is not burning an oil and air mix. As I stated, both Disco's of mine passed the MOT. If they had been "making more smoke" it's highly probable neither would have passed the MOT.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 13-02-2018 at 20:26 ----------

Oh blame the EU for not maintaining your car hmmm...?

The reason they "got better" was you stopped leaking exhaust gas through the gummed up valve when you shouldnt have. If you'd fitted it with anew valve or just cleaned the old one, then you would have seen an even better response.

EGR valves are proven to reduce NO2 emissions. Imagine that. Something that has almost no cost and reduces pollution - yet you decide to turn it into an ill informed uneducated whine about the nasty lot in Brussels, who I dont think ever mandated they must be used....

But hey it's something you dont like - lets lie and blame the EU!

Just a quick google turns up this little jem. "OEM LH EGR Valve Discovery 3 All EU2 Euro emmissions directive"

Seems they are an EU directive then, and I am innocent of telling lies.

Angel1.

Less smoke, because the engine is not burning an oil and air mix. As I stated, both Disco's of mine passed the MOT. If they had been "making more smoke" it's highly probable neither would have passed the MOT.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 13-02-2018 at 20:26 ----------

Just a quick google turns up this little jem. "OEM LH EGR Valve Discovery 3 All EU2 Euro emmissions directive"

Angel1.

Jeez you really dont get it do you.

The Directive to reduce pollution (aka EURO2) is from the EU.

Id doenst mandate the use of an EGR. I've had plenty of cars that were Euro 2 and 3 and they didnt have EGR.

So yes, you are still whining about something and are entirely wrong about it. Unless you want more pollution for some insane reason?

Angel1.

So you believe this a EU anti-pollution measure does the opposite :loopy:

Expert are you...

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valves recirculate a portion of the exhaust gas from the engine (5% to 15%) back into the combustion process. This ensures that the fuel gets completely burned while decreasing the production of harmful gases such as nitrous oxide.

No need to get fresh with the expert are you comment!

Blanking the egr valve has its benefits and no it doesn't make your car fail on the mot emissions.

Exhaust gas recirculation is not beneficial to your engine anyway that's why loads of people end up blanking it off = https://chiptuning.com.au/egr_blanking_info/

:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 13-02-2018 at 23:57 ----------

So you believe this a EU anti-pollution measure does the opposite :loopy:

My transit gives out no black smoke since the egr valve was blanked off....

Edited by mafya

No need to get fresh with the expert are you comment!

Blanking the egr valve has its benefits and no it doesn't make your car fail on the mot emissions.

Exhaust gas recirculation is not beneficial to your engine anyway that's why loads of people end up blanking it off = https://chiptuning.com.au/egr_blanking_info/

:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 13-02-2018 at 23:57 ----------

My transit gives out no black smoke since the egr valve was blanked off....

and if you'd fitted a working EGR it wouldnt have smoked either....

Are you an expert in heat engines - before you come abck with the snide comments just consider that I am and have had a reasonable amount of practice at designing and building Otto and Diesel cycles....

Are you an expert in heat engines - before you come abck with the snide comments just consider that I am and have had a reasonable amount of practice at designing and building Otto and Diesel cycles....

My bold=

What makes you think I'm going to come back with a snide comment? :huh:

My egr valve was working fine, blanking it gives me slightly more power and no smoke either and was done as a preventative measure to stop my engine manifold from gumming up with crud.

Is it better to have a little hole in the middle.:)

Here is a snippet of information taken from the United Diesel webby site.

"The down side is that the EGR valve and inlet valves get totally carboned up thus resulting in EGR failure and also a reduction of clean air being drawn into the engine resulting in a incorrect air to fuel ratio which cause black smoke, poor running and increased fuel consumption."

Only a government could introduce something as daft into legislation.

Angel1.