Should employers pry into Private Lives - RE Oxfam scandal

A children's aid charity has confirmed six cases of sexual abuse and child exploitation by staff or associates.

Plan International said five of the cases, which took place between 1 July 2016 and 30 June 2017, were reported to authorities in the countries involved.

Oxfam prostitution scandal: Charities report over 1,000 sexual abuse incidents every year, says regulator

In a blog post, Plan International UK says that in the same 12-month period over 2016/2017 there were also nine incidents of sexual harassment or sexual misconduct by staff on other adults.

These are very vague terms; I have not read about anyone being convicted of a crime. Ex-Save the Children boss Justin Forsyth apologises over 'texts'.

Is this all just a storm in a tea cup, maybe its down to differing approaches to prostitution, its legal in the UK, but not in some other countries.

Oxfam save lives in the role in poor countries, but because of the media reporting new contracts are on hold.

I know people that have used prostitutes in the UK, but the media have not been involved, nor their employer.

If we call using a prostitute 'abuse' it does make it appear worse!

Nicely put El Cid. The UK has what I assume are fairly well developed laws on what constitutes abuse (pupil / teacher, prisoner / warder, Barry Bennell, etc) so I think you are right to question what is being reported and reacted to. If something is against the local laws then it is a matter for prosecution by courts, not persecution by media.

Over and above, an organisation may have it's own contractual behaviour standards which might earn someone their P45 but that is a private matter and it isn't in the public interest unless there is real suspicion that laws have been breached or genuine and endemic turpitude that's damaging to the organisation's effect on society.

Moral outrage seems to be a new form of currency that feeds off identity politics. It seems to serve certain purposes well but I personally don't feel it's at play here, more that some minor tidbit of news has been seized upon simply because there are household names that make it interesting to the public, and no more.

Over and above, an organisation may have it's own contractual behaviour standards which might earn someone their P45 but that is a private matter and it isn't in the public interest unless there is real suspicion that laws have been breached or genuine and endemic turpitude that's damaging to the organisation's effect on society.

Yet, prostitution IS illegal in Haiti.

It is that illegality which requires action to be taken regardless of whether we think it should be illegal or not.

It is that illegality which requires action to be taken regardless of whether we think it should be illegal or not.

In 2005 a Haitian child could be bought for the equivalent of £54.22. I have not seen any proof of charity workers doing anything other than prostitution. Maybe adults resorting to prostitution is not their top priority, they probably turn a blind eye, just like what happens in the UK its ok under certain circumstances.

Yes indeed but I'll say what I said on another thread about this, if the law has been broken it up to local courts to determine through prosecution, not the media, or even domestic politicians here or there.