Railway strike 2016–2018

It was an example of a company trying to save money, that ended up costing them more.

I believe guards do have some responsibility in regard to couplings, but I don't know what happened in that case.

Really? You mean you know that the direct result of some action that occured has been because they were saving money and that cost them more?

Or perhaps wait for the RAIB report on the incident?

Also - might be news - but EVERY properly run company tries to save money. Thats a simple fact and not something you should be waving around like you ahve a golden ticket to corporate malfeasance. A Board that doesnt try to same money and be prudent with the company funds is in fact legally derelict in their duties!

I’d rather have a train with a guard on it but....

Are there any stats on the safety aspects. Are there more injuries or deaths on driver-only trains?

Driver only trains are more modern, they need CCTV for the driver to be able to view the passengers that are boarding, trains and platforms are not always straight. Tube trains would be a good example, can you compare a tube train with hardly any gap between the train and platform?

People with disabilities are sometimes helped by the guard, into the station and into the train, will the driver do that? Not the same issue on modern stations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-20339630

Edited by El Cid