Grey Skies, Nothing But Grey Skies..

It may be convenient to describe the Earth as being in a relative state of equilibrium, but the "relative" bit is what is the problem.

A state of equilibrium implies a some kind of return to a former state. That has never happened anywhere in the Universe-ever on a planetary scale. The case for a predictable Dynamic Equilibrium also fails as Chaos Theory explains. It's not that the Laws of Thermodynamics are wrong- they certainly are not.

The amount of radiation hitting the outer atmosphere varies according to more than a dozen cycles from decades to tens of thousands of years to tens of millions of years. The chaotic interaction of theses cycles produces such phenomena as Ice Ages and Snowball Earth.

The clarity of the atmosphere is Chaotic and unpredictable.

The absorbtion/reflection of heat at the surface is dependent on another set of chaotic variables at the surface. 

Another set of variables is caused by the Earths own heat produced by radioactive decay which causes the climatic effects caused by Continental Drift and volcanic activity.

You are right in saying that the time scales over which of any of these variables act is too great to have any noticeable effect in a lifetime. But as Chaos Theory explains there  is an unpredictability in how multiple variables interact and cause one or more systems to flip or triggers accelerated changes.

Millions of weather and temperature observations are made every day and hidden amongst all this is the actual observation that the huge bodies of water Oceans are getting warmer. This directly results in expansion  and therefore sea level rise. Ocean temperature are already known to alter currents and global heat distribution- the weather.

Human activity is new. The intensity of Ocean temperature increases are unexpected. 

Is the puny Human effect triggering other systems to behave differently to cause Oceanic warming? 

Are there other variables/systems in play? 

Gradual changes are far more likely than anything catastrophic -for most.

5 hours ago, trastrick said:

Because of the requirement of enclosure, and the near ubiquity of gravity, strictly and ideally isolated systems do not actually occur in experiments, or in nature. Though very useful, they are strictly hypothetical.

21 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

I was just pointing out that the Earth is not an isolated system so that @trastrick's invocation of the second law of thermodynamics was horse doodah dressed up as haggis.

My bad, let me clarify my statement: the Earth does not remotely resemble an isolated system, not in anyone's wildest imaginings, not if one has spent all afternoon looking at Salvador Dalis in a centrifuge while tripping on acid, not even a little bit. It continually exchanges large chunks of energy with the rest of the universe. The Second Law does not apply to a system consisting of the Earth alone, not even if you put a ribbon round the 'haggis' and call it Jemima.

Just now, Carbuncle said:

My bad, let me clarify my statement: the Earth does not remotely resemble an isolated system, not in anyone's wildest imaginings, not if one has spent all afternoon looking at Salvador Dalis in a centrifuge while tripping on acid, not even a little bit. It continually exchanges large chunks of energy with the rest of the universe. The Second Law does not apply to a system consisting of the Earth alone, not even if you put a ribbon round the 'haggis' and call it tJemima.

Your straw dog is nipping at your heals. Lol

I never said the Earth's climate was an "isolated system,"

Matter of fact I posted that there is really no such thing as "isolated system"  in nature, - WIKI

That's why those folks who demand $trillions to control the climate to a couple of degrees far out into the future have a REALLY BAD IDEA, Lol

Everything in the universe, is subject to gravity, dark energy, cosmic and an assortment of other radiation. Even empty space, a virtual vacuum, is a very busy place, we have learned.

But to get back on point, lets say the Earth and its climate are discrete, or even unique systems.

The  Earth's climate is  a function of gravity, atmospheric air pressure, energy sources such as the  the Sun, and to a lesser extent, Internal heat generated by radioactive decay, and the left over heat in its core from its formation , which together generates plate tectonics, earthquakes and volcanoes.

The Earth actually does a great job of providing a livable climate. which allows life to thrive above the Arctic Circle, in the driest deserts, and in the steaming equatorial jungles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2021 at 22:07, Padders said:

Nobody's complaining now.

I was!  i was overheating, quite seriously, couldn't cool down even with cold baths, bit frightening

Oh, well, grey all week now, holiday tiime disappearing, feel sorry for those whu have booked now overpriced UK accomodation!

Edited by gamezone07

• 3 weeks later...