Mayfest 2006 - your reviews please :)

fox20thc

I was there with Sheffield Retired Greyhound Fund. Yes, I think £5 is quite steep, especially for families, but there were the bands and demonstrations in the showring. I didn't see much of them, as our stall was inside the Owlerton Stadium tent, but I know there was a falconry display at one point. I was there on both days, more or less all day, and found the toilet facilities adequate and still clean on my last visit at 4.45pm yesterday. I suppose,though, that it depends upon which bank of toilets you visited. I thought food prices were pretty good. I got a pork roll for £3.00 - masses of lean pork with stuffing and apple sauce. Yum.

well obviously i wasn't insinuating that the bands played for free now was i?

and I wasn't sure whether it was a council run event or not so how should I know about rent for goodness sake?

Don't spit your dummy out. My post wasn't aimed at you. My comment on the bands was genuinely because I hadn't considered that. I apologise that you were not aware it was a council event. :rolleyes:

the balloon festival at graves park is better no entrance fee just 2 pound to park car no offence i was talking to someone the other day a fairground showman and before the scott barton erea sheffield used to have free shows now its pay pay pay after dark is a rip off 6 pound to watch fireworks and a concert

I went on Sunday. It was expensive, and the offer of stalls and rides etc was poor. The 'beach' was a joke! & the beer tent had no seats or tables. They had a cheek to charge people to get in. Wont be going next year.

I go to the Rotherham Show (usually beginning of September) for a good free day out. The kids usually come away with lots of freebies, and there's plenty for them to to do. Also as the admission is free, you don't mind paying for the kids to go on a couple of fairground rides.

I thought it was rubbish for a fiver. I suppose it's worth it for the bands (if they're your cup of tea, which they weren't), but other than that, there's only a fair and a few stalls.

I think the Middlewood day will be far more interesting. :)

Don't spit your dummy out. My post wasn't aimed at you. My comment on the bands was genuinely because I hadn't considered that. I apologise that you were not aware it was a council event. :rolleyes:

i apologise most profusely for my comments fox20thc. i was bang out of order and i was in a very bad mood that day so i took your comments the wrong way. im very sorry.

i apologise most profusely for my comments fox20thc. i was bang out of order and i was in a very bad mood that day so i took your comments the wrong way. im very sorry.

Just to clear the air - the bands (on Monday) didn't pay to perform - the way it works is that certainly for the bigger artists, Hallam FM will 'repay' them with airplay on their next single etc...not sure what the score was with the local bands on Sunday but I doubt they paid to play either...

Archived