University tuition fees review

The attitude is taking a loan that you know you might never pay back. If you get a degree and you don’t have to pay for it you get to keep the degree. If you buy a house or a car and don’t pay for them you lose the house or the car.

If you embark on a path where you know that there Is a high risk you won’t pay for something that is bad IMO. Tell me what does that teach kids exactly? What is good about it?

Actions have consequences and people need to learn that. Best way is to tax them.

She never took a loan that she thought she might never pay back . She worked hard in her studies , while holding down two jobs that helped her pay her way . She never embarked on a path where she thought she wouldn't have to pay her dues . She followed her heart . When she is at the threshold when she has to pay her dues ,she will . . It must be hard being as righteous as you are

The attitude is taking a loan that you know you might never pay back. If you get a degree and you don’t have to pay for it you get to keep the degree. If you buy a house or a car and don’t pay for them you lose the house or the car.

If you embark on a path where you know that there Is a high risk you won’t pay for something that is bad IMO. Tell me what does that teach kids exactly? What is good about it?

Actions have consequences and people need to learn that. Best way is to tax them.

How much did your degree cost and have you paid it back yet?

Havent got one . read my earlier post

Your earlier post makes no mention of your qualifications.

You do know that University attendance isn't strictly necessary to hold a degree, don't you?

---------- Post added 22-02-2018 at 00:11 ----------

You're old, of course it cost nowt. I bet you're that old you got a grant ;);)

I got a grant and drank the lot:D

I have repaid the taxpayer over the last 30 years though.

She never took a loan that she thought she might never pay back . She worked hard in her studies , while holding down two jobs that helped her pay her way . She never embarked on a path where she thought she wouldn't have to pay her dues . She followed her heart . When she is at the threshold when she has to pay her dues ,she will . . It must be hard being as righteous as you are

You’re simply describing a badly broken system. No fault of your relative of course but it is broken. Repeat millions of times until there is hundreds of billions of unrecoverable debt.

---------- Post added 22-02-2018 at 00:57 ----------

How much did your degree cost and have you paid it back yet?

Nothing for fees. My student loan was a few grand and I’ve paid it back. My post-grad was funded by EPSRC (Electrical and Physical Sciences Research Council) and was fully funded for fees and a maintenance allowance.

Very lucky!!!

I’ve got to get several of my kids through the system in the next few years. Looking at a collective debt for three of them being way past £100k. I don’t want them to have to take that on. I didn’t have to. But I am pragmatic enough to know that we/they should contribute something. There’s a funding crisis not just for higher education but also all post-18 training and we need a sustainable way of ploughing funds back in.

A private company charging punative interest and having highly restricted collection rules is not the way to achieve that. There is so much wrong with that it’s not funny.

Yes I know that, but that's not the point I was disputing (although non-white graduates earn less than white graduates with the same degree, so maybe we could have some income tax bands based on ethnic origin, that would stir things up!).

No, my question was "do we know that graduates themselves are the primary beneficiaries of their education?" I asked this because the logic of a graduate tax or higher income tax bands for graduates seems to be that they are the primary beneficiary of their education. But is that just an assumption? If the rest of us significantly benefit from the outputs of their education then shouldn't we share the cost of it with them?

Gosh, but do we really? Please name 10 people in modern history ie last 20 years. That enriched us all and put more money in the pocket of the populous, so much that we can pay their fees.

Edited by phil752