Oceana Sheffield - Sheffield's new super club?

Been looking through the planning applications and i have noticed that Luminar Leisure Ltd - the Company behind Chicago Rock Cafe are proposing a new night club where Currys is in the city centre underneath Redvers house.

The club will have different themed rooms which take the visitor on a journey "around the world", from Tokyo, Aspen, Paris, Reykjavik, Sydney, New York and beyond.

There are a few of these clubs about including Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Leeds and Bristol.

Here's the link to the planning docs http://planningdocs.sheffield.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Application%20(Drawings)-108218.pdf;jsessionid=C6404498325461C606E7535306C12F02?extension=.pdf&wmTransparency=0&id=108218&wmLocation=0&location=VOLUME2&contentType=application%2Fpdf&wmName=&pageCount=12

Here's the link to Oceana's Website http://www.oceanaclubs.com/

What do you guys think? It's about time we had something new and innovative here in Sheffield.

I just hope they get the permission they want and Currys hurry up and leave so the club can be kitted out!

*Throws twopenneth in*

Oceana in Leeds is a townie/trendy mecca, can't stand the place or its clientele.

But on the flipside if you like Kingdom and Banus (is that still going?) and like drinking in Yates', Revolution, Edwards, Flares, Reflex, Walkabout, any one of the myriad of 'beach bars', or Lloyds you'll think Oceana is the mutts nuts.

*takes twopenneth back - short on cash for lunchtime sarnie*

I have to agree here

I moved to sheffield from Nottingham about 8 months ago. The one in Nottingham is absolutely horrible.

There is always trouble and they made a lot of the nights 25 years and up. Also, very over priced. But i will pray and hope that maybe they do better with this one

*Throws twopenneth in*

Oceana in Leeds is a townie/trendy mecca, can't stand the place or its clientele.

But on the flipside if you like Kingdom and Banus (is that still going?) and like drinking in Yates', Revolution, Edwards, Flares, Reflex, Walkabout, any one of the myriad of 'beach bars', or Lloyds you'll think Oceana is the mutts nuts.

*takes twopenneth back - short on cash for lunchtime sarnie*

second this, oceana in leeds is awful.

It's about time we had something new and innovative here in Sheffield

What Sheffield really needs is a number quality late bars (and as much as I hate to say it...) a la Leeds. Sorry. There I've said it.

I reckon the CIQ would be the perfect place for a small number of late bars, in amongst the old back streets and workshops it could all be rather atmospheric, particularly near the refurbed Butcher Works. Plus it'd add a touch of night time security a rather dead area.

Anyway, sorry this is going off topic and has probably been covered numerous times in the past.

Yeah, so Oceana, no thanks.

What Sheffield really needs is for 24 hour drinking to be revoked. It makes lock-ins far less fun. ;)

Pre-24hr licensing, The Showroom was the bastion of late-night bevvies down t'CIQ. Open 'til 2 Thursday to Saturday, you would have thought it would be a last chance watering hole for the revellers flowing down the hill from the gutters of West and Divvy Street. Other than Friday (and to a lesser extent, Saturday), though, it struggled. I think the main reason for this is its geographical isolation, real to a point, but exagerrated by all these hills. Thursday was good for a while, but it was blatantly irresponsible to let a bunch of geeks play broken beat, nu-soul and jazz odysseys (even if the Showroom clientele are somewhat more cultured than, like, them lot in t'Reflex). Especially if Bursnall's dropping of Gang Starr's "Tons o Guns" happened to coincide with some bohemian types coming out of a film about a Llama called Pieto who leads a blind man through a rocky mountain pass. Or something.

I suppose The Runaway Girl has added to the bar scene of that area (deffo recommend btw) so it's not quite the one-saloon town it used to be. As long as it doesn't get all up-its-own-arse.

This Oceana's sounds rubbish though. It'll probably attract idiots who will puke all over the themed displays and put fag burns in the seats. Brilliant. Oh, actually they won't be able to smoke by the time it's built anyway. At which point there will be NO POINT IN GOING OUT AT ALL.

...Any chance that Oceana might do a Gay Night?

Bet that might put the wind up Fuel, though, just refurbished and all. But you wouldn't put it beyond them!

Why locate it in the 'Curries' beneath Redvers House, when there's a perfectly sized potential club building lying empty in the shape of the old Office World on Arundel Gate?

One club with weekly Gay Nights which sounds like 'Oceana' is 'Spirit' with venues currently only in two cities: Dublin and New York. Very stylish -anyone who has been to either will know what I mean. Once saw Frankie Knuckles at the Dublin one.

:love:

Archived