Oceana Sheffield - Sheffield's new super club?

Well i think it's a good idea as specially as Kingdom is due to shut down at some point as part of the re-furb of barkers pool, so it, would i'd imagine be a bit of a replacement for Kingdom, what's wrong with that, and franchised clubs can't be that bad because Luminar are a big company and you don't get to be that big if your doing stuff wrong!!

Totally agree. I am sick of negaative attitudes from people on this forum a bit of investment comes to the city and raises it's national appeal then people turn round and say i don't want this crap.

I dont want this crap. From the looks of their other venues, they aren't going to give us anything we haven't already got. Sheffield is in danger of going the same way as Leeds in its generic bars/clubs approach.

It's a club for god sakes, no club culture is not declining you only have to go in Gatecrasher on a friday saturday or monday to find that you can't move nethermibnd get to the bar.

Gatecrasher 1 is hardly the ultimate clubbing experience. I've had the misfortune to go there on occasion. Overpriced entry, overpriced bar tarif, terrible, terrible music......

Sheffield has some brilliant nights. None of them are at these 'superclubs'. Go figure.

franchised clubs can't be that bad because Luminar are a big company and you don't get to be that big if your doing stuff wrong!!

The word Nazis springs to mind.

I've seen the Oceana website, and from this, you can be sure that if a place looks decent, Sheffielders will think its crap. For a city, Sheffield must have the worst bars in the country, and if the bars are anything to go by, it probably speaks volumes for the nightclubs as well.

I like the fact that your statement includes the qualifying 'probably', indicating that you most certainly never go out. Anywhere good, in any case.

Sheffield has some wicked bars and some forward-thinking pubs that benefit from having a strong local identity and independent status. Bars like The Lounge, The Runaway Girl, Sola, The Halcyon, The Showroom Bar and, yes, The Forum have played host to some brilliant nights (DJ, live, acoustic) for the 7 years I've been in Sheffield (by no means an exhaustive list, and definitely biased for reasons I can't be bothered to explain), many of them nationally groundbreaking - what a coup for The Store it was to book Carl Craig at The Forum!

At the same time, there are loads of pubs that serve as venues for those people in Sheffield with a can-do attitude to host all kinds of events: live bands, art shows, films, DJs, acoustic open-mic nights. Principally I'm referring to Dulos (perhaps the coolest pub I've ever been to), The Lescar, The Grapes, The Broadfield etc. I also sneaked over to the ThisWayUp BBQ at The Vine from Peace in the Park t'other day and caught some deep sounds from The Plug's Pedram. Looking from the beer garden over the Porter valley up towards Broomhill, with the sun beating down, I thought: "Sheffield is ****ing ace. It's beautiful, and cool, and I'm here surrounded by brilliant creative people". I just don't get that feeling when I'm in other places.

In addition, there are many other spaces around the city that people use to do cool stuff: Community centres, disused factories, recording studios. All of these places put events on that contribute to the cultural richness of Sheffield, to which so many people, outsiders included, are so responsive.

When it comes to clubs, Sheffield has historically been at the cutting edge nationally of breaking new sounds and ideas. There has always been a few decent nights at any one time. Sometimes, you need to look for them, but the experience will always be far more rewarding than any chain. If you think that there's nothing going on worth going to, then I feel sorry for you. Just the other night there was a wicked thing on called Lightfoot Manoeuvres at Takapunu, with guys from 20/20 Vision, Cinematic Orchestra and Grand Central playing jazz. It was rammed and everyone was well into it.

Sorry, has this been rambling? Yes Stef.

I'm sure that for some people Oceania will be a welcome addition. However, if the argument is that there isn't anything here, then you clearly haven't looked.

I dont want this crap. From the looks of their other venues, they aren't going to give us anything we haven't already got. Sheffield is in danger of going the same way as Leeds in its generic bars/clubs approach.

Just because you don't want it, you don't want the crap! Since when have you been the voice of Sheffield?

Gatecrasher 1 is hardly the ultimate clubbing experience. I've had the misfortune to go there on occasion. Overpriced entry, overpriced bar tarif, terrible, terrible music......

Sheffield has some brilliant nights. None of them are at these 'superclubs'. Go figure.

Where in my posts did say Gatecrasher was the ultimate clubbing experience?

Don't get me wrong i do have some good nights in the place but i never said it was the ulimate clubbind experience. I just think that the investment is good for Sheffield and it shows the other big companies can come here. If one company comes you never know more might follow. I don't see a problem in having bars and clubs that are aimed at a niche market but surely these need to exist among larger companies to give the consumers more choice. After all how can you have a niche club when absolutely everybody goes and it's mainstream?

Just because you don't want it, you don't want the crap! Since when have you been the voice of Sheffield?

Since birth. :cool:

The club is just another trendy bar/club that will no doubt end up being frequented by people with £50 haircuts, pink t-shirts and 'customised' (mass-produced actually) jeans from Topman/USC with a penchant for funky house.

Since there are no end of places that cater for these people already, it would be nice to see a new club that at least tried to do something different.

again, who says curry's are moving out?

Good question, i don't know who has said it either. Luminar are proposing a night club there. I don't know the ins and out of planning so i don't know what the rules are about applying for planning permission on buildings already occupied.

But on the other hand I had always heard on the grapevine that a club would be opening in the same place as currys. Also a friend who used to work said that the store isn't doing very well at all so will eventually close.

Like i said it's a proposal, it still might not happen.

Archived