Prague price food and drinks

used to be cheap but not any more. You wanted to be there about 25 years ago. There is almost nowhere in the world, that is cheaper now than it was 25 years ago. But some places, get more expensive, faster than average. Prague is one of those places in spades.

I remember:hihi: 25 years ago, 100 deutsche marks was enough for 7 days of pub crawling in Prague

there is a money changing place in the top north east corner of wenceslas square. If you stand outside looking at the rates, you will almost certainly be approached by a man in a beige camel hair coat offering you a much better exchange rate.

avoid!!!

why.........

Edited by mort
tags

There is a money changing place in the top North East corner of Wenceslas Square. If you stand outside looking at the rates, you will almost certainly be approached by a man in a beige camel hair coat offering you a much better exchange rate.

Avoid!!!

WHY.........

Because he asks how much you are changing and if you say for example €100 he says he can offer a better rate than the bureau. If the bureau is offering say 2,500 Czech Krona* for €100 he will offer you 3000 Czech. Then he takes you aside and counts out 3000 worth of notes. Unfortunately about 500 of them will be Czech Krona, the rest will be various random Eastern European junk currencies. All you are doing is counting the 00s. After all, we don't know what all this weird money looks like, do we?

Then he disappears like the shopkeeper in the Mr Benn cartoons and you are left with about £20 worth of various junk currency for your €100. Which you only discover when you walk into a bar and try to buy a round using a 100 Hungarian Forint note (worth about 25p!*)

(*exchange rates are not accurate and simply for the illustration of the story)

Edited by mort
tags

Because he asks how much you are changing and if you say for example €100 he says he can offer a better rate than the bureau. If the bureau is offering say 2,500 Czech Krona* for €100 he will offer you 3000 Czech. Then he takes you aside and counts out 3000 worth of notes. Unfortunately about 500 of them will be Czech Krona, the rest will be various random Eastern European junk currencies. All you are doing is counting the 00s. After all, we don't know what all this weird money looks like, do we?

Then he disappears like the shopkeeper in the Mr Benn cartoons and you are left with about £20 worth of various junk currency for your €100. Which you only discover when you walk into a bar and try to buy a round using a 100 Hungarian Forint note (worth about 25p!*)

(*exchange rates are not accurate and simply for the illustration of the story)

Thanks top cat..bit risky though if he"s there regulary, some nutter"s going to seek revenge.

Edited by mort

Thanks top cat..bit risky though if he"s there regulary, some nutter"s going to seek revenge.

I think it's mainly stag and hen dos he targets. Here today and gone tomorrow. He has been there at least 15 years to the best of my knowledge.

Oh and on the cost of living in Prague which is the point of this thread, the whole of the band Killing Joke upped and relocated to Prague in 2005 I believe, largely because it was so cheap to live there! ?

I think it's mainly stag and hen dos he targets. Here today and gone tomorrow. He has been there at least 15 years to the best of my knowledge.

Oh and on the cost of living in Prague which is the point of this thread, the whole of the band Killing Joke upped and relocated to Prague in 2005 I believe, largely because it was so cheap to live there! ?

Thanks again Top Cat. that's cleared that up.. good advice.

Does anyone know what the prices are like in Prague for food and drink??

We went in November for 4 days and spent around £200 (around 5500 CZK) Which included lunch and evening meal each day. Like others have said, stay away from the Old Square and touristy areas to find the best value restaurants. From the airport, we used Prague Airport Transfers, It cost £38 return (for 2 people) in a private Mercedes and also included a free 4 hour walking tour of Prague with one of their guides - great value for money.

Edited by AMR67