Toyota Yaris - any good?

They are telling you lies. If "they" say mid 80's I would guess 50's would be about right.

We have an Outlander PHEV, "They" say it does 156 mpg. In the real world if it did 50/60 I would be delighted.

WE are been fibbed to. The problem is that unless you buy one of the electric abominations and try it like I did, we believe "them". Think back and who were the pariah's of yesteryear, car salesmen. Nothing has changed.

Forgot to add, we had a little Yaris, almost 90k on it when we bought it. It was a grand little car. When we sold it we almost got our money back.

Angel1.

I would agree with what is said here, I have a Toyota Aygo which I think claims similar mileage to the Yaris Hybrid but I average actually around 60mpg, which because of inaccuracies in the speedometer and odometer probably gets me around the mid 50's. These exaggerations though are probably fairly universal, so every bodies claimed mileage is probably lower by a similar margin/percentage which probably means the Yaris is still one of the more economical cars in terms of fuel use.

When I looked at buying cars 3 years ago the only user reviews that ever bought up this sort of issue in the Aygo size/price range were the drivers of Fiat 500's who all seemed to make a point of stating that you won't get anywhere like the mileage claimed by Fiat. Along with the claims of mechanical unreliability in the 500 it proved to be the deciding factor in avoiding that particular model.

MPG on Hybrids is very subjective, don't be taken in by the advertisements because they are downright lies.

What you need to remember is the Yaris is not a plug-in Hybrid, you can't charge it at home and use electric only for short journeys.

At the end of the day it's got a 1.5l petrol engine, plus a ton of batteries and stuff to haul around.

You'll do mid-40's on engine only.

We have an Outlander PHEV, "They" say it does 156 mpg.

Yea, but you knew it'd never do anywhere near that.

They did go totally mental on the MPG claims though, 156 was comedy!!

The idea is to keep the Hybrid in EV mode as much as possible because this tells you that the car is using battery. Usually this is when travelling below 40 mph.

The log on our Yaris Hybrid shows that we always achieve 50 to 60 mpg, best being 65 mpg. That is on mostly short, urban journeys. To get the best mpg you have to make the Hybrid work for you.