"Alternatives" to standard treatment for cancer

Patricia,

Very interesting what you say. Initially, my partner was being treated for a primary tumour at Western Park.We moved treatment to the Royal Marsden and Chelsea/ Westminster. The reason being, that if my partner needed surgery (now off the cards) the best place to be was at those two hospitals.

Chelsea/Westminster was where my partner was first treated for PCJ arising from HIV infection.So C/W was up to speed with my partner's medical condition and history.

HIV infection makes the treatment of cancer a little more involved than treating a person who does not have HIV. In spite of the effective ARV drugs, one's immune system is a little compromised and may not mop up all cancer cells

milling about in the body.

We are meeting with the Wester Park Oncology Team on March 2nd, 2018.

From preliminary communications, we will be discussing what treatments and trials might be available- and if necessary,will my partner be able to access

immunotherapy.

There's a lot going on now in mainstream cancer treatment.What I can't abide is the ,"It's all sh.. . It doesn't work. It's burn, slash and poison", that comes from some of the advocates for alternative cancer treatment.

I'm the eternal optimist. And as Bernie Segal describes in , "Love, Medicine and Miracles ", the "exceptional patient". I pray that my partner -with the help of modern oncology treatments -will be an exceptional patient.

So it goes.

---------- Post added 26-02-2018 at 15:43 ----------

Onewheeldave,

Just an aside.What do you think about Tim Noak's diet? He's certainly rocked the boat. He's not Atkins. He's not a nutter.The nutritional community are at his throat. Some nutritional scientists are in the camp of the Meditarian diet . Kenyans eat loads of carbs and run like hell.

Eat :sardines ,eggs and liver+ avocado amongst other things ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Noa

Edited by petemcewan

Just an aside.What do you think about Tim Noak's diet? He's certainly rocked the boat. He's not Atkins. He's not a nutter.The nutritional community are at his throat. Some nutritional scientists are in the camp of the Meditarian diet . Kenyans eat loads of carbs and run like hell.

Eat :sardines ,eggs and liver+ avocado amongst other things ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Noa

He's a high fat/low carb advocate. The wiki article doesn't mention it, but he's type 2 diabetic himself. I believe he was diagnosed shortly after going high fat/low carb?

Diet is a very complex subject, with a knowledge base full of vested interest influences and apparent contradictions. Personally, I don't rate the high fat/low carb approach, though I can see why it's popular. What do you think about it?

I'd say that

"Equally, several aspects of the more standard diet are now known to cause cancer, we now know, for example, that processed meat is a class 1 carcinogen."

without any context is pretty scary to the average person.

As I mentioned before, I meant to say 'group 1 carcinogen', not 'class 1'. I've just gone back and edited the post.

Onewheeldave,

Just a quickie before I go out to Higgar Tor for a climb.

You are right about the complexity of nutrition and all the conflicting advice.

I believe Noak's father was a diabetic. But apparently, diabetes can be cured through nutrition.

Just another confusing thing. The Internet is full of nutritional advice for cancer sufferers. However, the NHS information states categorically that there is no anti-cancer diet .

I'd say that

"Equally, several aspects of the more standard diet are now known to cause cancer, we now know, for example, that processed meat is a class 1 carcinogen."

without any context is pretty scary to the average person.

I'd disagree. If you swapped that sentence for tobacco instead of red meat it would be perfectly fine and accurate too.

Now id he had said that one slice of salami a week has a 70% chance of killing you inside ten years then I'd agree its a bit scaremongery.

I'd disagree. If you swapped that sentence for tobacco instead of red meat it would be perfectly fine and accurate too.

Now id he had said that one slice of salami a week has a 70% chance of killing you inside ten years then I'd agree its a bit scaremongery.

You're entitled to your opinion

Onewheeldave,

Just a quickie before I go out to Higgar Tor for a climb.

You are right about the complexity of nutrition and all the conflicting advice.

I believe Noak's father was a diabetic. But apparently, diabetes can be cured through nutrition.

Just another confusing thing. The Internet is full of nutritional advice for cancer sufferers. However, the NHS information states categorically that there is no anti-cancer diet .

In the dark?