Plumbers/electricians, a quick diy question.

Not at all mate, getting a plumbed shower couldn't be easier. Just remove the side panel on bath for access, stop the water, removed current taps and replace with a tap / shower combo. One of those with the little lever / plunger etc to swap between tap and shower mode. And then Bob's your aunty, done.

---------- Post added 27-02-2018 at 15:33 ----------

Of course would need to affix the shower head and a curtain to the wall, but still simple enough.

If you was renting off me and went ahead and did what you are proposing I would be serving you a notice to quit the property.

Have you got your landlords permission?

Why don't you ask the landlord to install a shower for you instead?

fix to wall on waterproof plasterboards,re -tile to hide pipes,make sure your combi has the correct pressure, yes fairly easy if you know what you are doing but originally you wanted an electric shower?

Yes, I did. But as I said, it seems like it would be a lot of bother and unnecessary work when I could easily just get one plumbed in for half the effort, less than half the cost, it just means dealing with settling the temperature each time, rather than just turning it on and knowing it'll do that for me.

If you was renting off me and went ahead and did what you are proposing I would be serving you a notice to quit the property.

Have you got your landlords permission?

Why don't you ask the landlord to install a shower for you instead?

Hmm, that is something I hadn't considered. Not sure they would though, I mean hell, if that's something they would do if I asked then why isn't there already one in? They should know a lot of people prefer showers, or at least having a choice.

And yes, knowing how much work it would be it is something I would ask the landlord permission for first, if I do go ahead with the electric shower installation.

That said, as I've mentioned a few times now, I think with all the hassle, it might just be better to go for the bath tap / shower combi and then all I have to do is get a rail and a curtain (needed no matter which route I take) and the rest is a minor change that can be easily changed back if / when I leave this property. And hell, if I wanna get creative I could just get a freestanding clothes rail, put a shower curtain on that and wheel it over to the bath then all that's been done is adding a shower riser to the wall.

Perhaps, but minor jobs like these are pretty easy. And no offence to plumbers or electricians, I have much respect for tradesmen, but a lot of it is common sense. Besides, I've done minor works myself previously.

What are tests you would carry out on the installation, using what equipment? How would you determine the cable size and the type and size of MCB?

Hmm, it appears my last post got deleted, not by me, but never mind.

There's no point in starting an Inquisition as, should I answer correctly who's to say I hadn't just gone on Google, or you suggesting I had if I answered with my own knowledge? If I'd known someone was going to get their knickers in a twist I wouldn't have bothered even asking for advice. Not to mention, that's what an installation manual is for. As all things come with one. I could ask you how to build a computer, maybe you know, maybe you don't, but as I do I can say most of that is common sense too, it's all about putting the pieces where they fit, not trying to force them to go elsewhere. The specifics are where you need knowledge, even if only a little. So again I say, most - and please take note, the important word here is just that "MOST" - things are common sense, turn off the power, don't connect live to earth or neutral, or any combination of twisted connections, don't leave wiring uncovered, don't screw through a wire, don't leave a wire dangling in a sink.... Etc. Specifics and more technical issues are the exact thing I came here to ask in the first place. So please, don't go getting bent out of shape over a statement that is quite true, whether you want it to be or not.

It's not that simple....

K corrections for an MCB. D curve ok? What's your pscc like. You have the kit to measure that. Got a 5kv tester?

If not then you are not competent or tooled up to install a shower that puts electricity in contact with the water stream.

It's not that simple....

K corrections for an MCB. D curve ok? What's your pscc like. You have the kit to measure that. Got a 5kv tester?

If not then you are not competent or tooled up to install a shower that puts electricity in contact with the water stream.

Well, firstly, that's assuming that the current wiring isn't already on it's own circuit, with it's own fuse. I haven't even tried checking yet, because even if I had bought the shower and was ready to install it, I still have too much crap in the cupboard because I've not finished unpacking. Ido however know tthere's an unused mcb on the board at present. Secondly, I suppose it depends on what kind of corrections your meaning, as there is little difference between a k and d curve mcb, mostly involving how long it takes for it to trip and forwhat reason. As for the pscc, no, I don't have a tester, which brings me straight <removed> back to my last point, to which I feel the need to quote myself from my last post, and numerous other times I've said this already;

Specifics and more technical issues are the exact thing I came here to ask in the first place.

I really do wish you people would read all of my post instead of choosing to get offended by a single statement. I mean hell, what are you, a grown man/woman or a millennial? Perhaps call it ignorance on my part if you so wish, but what's the point in getting offended? It only raises the blood pressure.

https://goo.gl/images/4GVyF9

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Well, firstly, that's assuming that the current wiring isn't already on it's own circuit, with it's own fuse. I haven't even tried checking yet, because even if I had bought the shower and was ready to install it, I still have too much crap in the cupboard because I've not finished unpacking. Ido however know tthere's an unused mcb on the board at present. Secondly, I suppose it depends on what kind of corrections your meaning, as there is little difference between a k and d curve mcb, mostly involving how long it takes for it to trip and forwhat reason. As for the pscc, no, I don't have a tester, which brings me straight <removed> back to my last point, to which I feel the need to quote myself from my last post, and numerous other times I've said this already;

I really do wish you people would read all of my post instead of choosing to get offended by a single statement. I mean hell, what are you, a grown man/woman or a millennial? Perhaps call it ignorance on my part if you so wish, but what's the point in getting offended? It only raises the blood pressure.

https://goo.gl/images/4GVyF9

ha ha you are one of those know it alls that nobody wants to do a job for, crack on mate fit your electric or combi shower, hope it goes very well:roll::roll: