Solicitors dragging heels with conveyancing

But it wouldn't be a bad thing to name them, as it would be a recommendation (in spite of yourself, really) because every Buyer out there would like their Conveyancer to do all the due diligence and dot the Is and cross the Ts. However that might inconvenience the Vendor is truly not my concern - hopefully that makes sense without causing an argument?

I've bought a fair number of properties (never sold one) and I really like my Conveyancer to demonstrate effective attention-to-detail and ensure I don't miss anything. That said, I still had to remind the last one about small things like Retention for leasehold properties etc.. The Vendor's Conveyancer was not happy about that at all! ;)

What you might consider petty (as the Vendor) could be considered a huge thing by the Buyer.

From what you say (unless I'm misreading) it looks your Ground Rent was not up to date, anyway, and you had to rectify once it was pointed-out?

No you are wrong, the ground rent was actually paid up until sept 18, i just wanted to doubley reassure them, but no they were sticking out for proof for which was an insignificant amount in the great scheme of things, my own solicitors were also at fault for not requesting things from the freeholder early enough.

its got more to do with todays blame and claim culture than good old common sense.

...my own solicitors were also at fault for not requesting things from the freeholder early enough.

its got more to do with todays blame and claim culture than good old common sense.

There you go then... everyone's at fault, 'cept you. ;)

In a way that's all kind of ironic, but there you go.

There you go.

Personally, I chase my own Solicitor on things I am concerned about. I have used various to do Conveyancing in the past and they'll all move along once you persist in chasing, and chasing... make yourself more important than everyone else, who's also paying a fixed fee of a few hundred quid, by virtue of being the noisiest. It's good to have a public rant every now and again.

Oh, and my best hint... I insist that any Conveyancer I work with accepts they'll do most things via email with me. I can't be doing with their predilection for posting stuff around. I tell them that on day one. I even put .jpg signatures into .doc files and turn them into a .pdf - they've never demurred (tho' some haven't seemed to like this brave new world!)...

Edited by Hippogriff

Solicitors still work in the 1800's.

They think there untouchable but in reality the whole legal profession needs a damn good kick up the arse.

There is no reason why a home sale couldn't be completed in 24 hours providing there is no chain or mortgage involved. (I've done it, therefore its more than possible).

Having been at the mercy of the legal profession for the last 20odd years while running my removal company I can honestly say that solicitors most of the time are at fault for the delays. We have had customers in tears after booking with us and being packed up ready to go then having "the call" from a solicitor the day before removal saying it has to be postponed. We have even had a customer being called into the office while we are loading the lorry to sign a paper that the solicitor hadn't got them to sign before. For the amount of money that is paid to them, the service should be improved and speeded up. It's the days of email with instant communication so it should be much quicker.

For the amount of money that is paid to them, the service should be improved and speeded up. It's the days of email with instant communication so it should be much quicker.

This might be a perspective thing, but the amount of money paid for the service itself is paltry, right? Around £500 or so? Fixed price, whatever happens (often). Don't mistakenly bundle your SDLT into "money that is paid to them", nor other costs / fees that they just pass on to the bill you see. The line item you see for "Professional Services" or "Legal Fees" will often be quite modest.

I agree with your last sentence so much, though, and I have had to force that issue repeatedly.

I would say to everyone out there - if you're not satisfied or don't want to pay - give it a go yourself. It's perfectly possible. Not something I'd relish doing tho'.