Fitzalan square regeneration

bus man

Who does actually live in ‘the Square’? I was of the opinion that it is in the city centre, how many East Enders were present to protect ‘their’ trees by the way?

This.

If the residents of Page Hall, Parsons Cross etc want to save their trees then STAG will support them but the initiative has to come from the residents. The crowd you see protesting on the news will be largely made up of people who live in the immediate area, they will have been watching their own street and sending out an alert when the felling crews arrive. There's nothing to stop people in other parts of the city doing the same. Yes there are lots of retired people involved but I'm sure there are plenty of retirees in these other areas as well.

This.

If the residents of Page Hall, Parsons Cross etc want to save their trees then STAG will support them but the initiative has to come from the residents. The crowd you see protesting on the news will be largely made up of people who live in the immediate area, they will have been watching their own street and sending out an alert when the felling crews arrive. There's nothing to stop people in other parts of the city doing the same. Yes there are lots of retired people involved but I'm sure there are plenty of retirees in these other areas as well.

Retirees in these areas probably are not well enough motivated, educated, or possibly have more common sense than to assume to such lofty pseudo middle class pretensions, and probably have greater things to worry about such as finance, crime, health etc.

None of which appear to be great problems on Sandford Grove Road and surrounding areas.

No proof of this but I would also assume that those in the poorer areas would probably think that the resources wasted by the police and council on those protesting would be better off spent elsewhere.

Edited by mickyboy

What a disgrace it now looks. Well done to SCC for destroying more trees and areas

Don't worry when the finance is found to pay for it :huh: and the work is finally completed :huh: I am sure Fitzalan Square will be a hub of cosmopolitan eateries and niche theatres :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

It does look quite neat, though personally I'd have preferred something incorporating the existing trees.

Other European countries seem to manage to retain old Plane trees in their squares easily enough, which seems to maintain the character of the area, whilst still sprucing it up a bit.

I just hope they employ someone who understands how to plan and plant these new 11 trees, unlike some of the examples in this report;

Personally, I think the new plans look pretty bland and boring, like all the other schemes. They've taken all the character out of it. The area needed a good clean up to be sure, but the trees, the statue and the surrounding stonework could have been made to look really good for a fraction of the price. the foundations were already there, with character and history.

The surrounding shops are the real problem, scruffy and downmarket. Spend the money on smartening them up, and attracting new more upmarket businesses, and it could be a lovely, bijou addition to the city centre

Personally, I think the new plans look pretty bland and boring, like all the other schemes. They've taken all the character out of it. The area needed a good clean up to be sure, but the trees, the statue and the surrounding stonework could have been made to look really good for a fraction of the price. the foundations were already there, with character and history.

The surrounding shops are the real problem, scruffy and downmarket. Spend the money on smartening them up, and attracting new more upmarket businesses, and it could be a lovely, bijou addition to the city centre

What does bijou mean ? :) And don't you know the city centre has officially moved :)

Bijou. jewel, trinket. small and elegant. me neither.

Bijou: small, elegant, and a bit Boho. Not words you associate with Sheffield I grant you, but hey, we have to start somewhere...:

Yes I know the town centre has moved, but I understand that the area from Fitzallan square down to Ladies Bridge is earmarked to become the 'Historical quarter' drawing on plans to open up the ruins of Sheffield Castle (under the old Castle Market.) It includes the old Courthouse, (could that become a Castle Museum?) the Post Office, and various other innovative ideas.

Nice ideas - whether it'll ever happen is another matter...

Edited by Anna B

Yes I agree.

It is a shame, as I think Sheffield is capable of producing good new public realm, which has been done recently with the ongoing grey to green scheme. I think removing the trees here tho is a big mistake, exacerbated by replacing them with those rather uninspiring pencil like trees that have no canopy at all.

Current best practice advice from urban and landscape designers is to plant big trees in large public realms that will grow to have large canopies. These create the places that people want to dwell in. Whilst a lot needs to be done before Fitzalan Sq becomes a place anyone would want to spend much time, removing the trees won’t help at all, and will in fact do the opposite..