Fitzalan square regeneration

bus man

No proof of this but I would also assume that those in the poorer areas would probably think that the resources wasted by the police and council on those protesting would be better off spent elsewhere.

Perhaps the council should stop doing such unpopular things that they have to take their own councillors to court and use the police to interfere with legitimate protests then...

Fitzalan Sq looks brighter and better already without the trees. They made it far too dark and dingy.

Trees aren't the right answer in every situation. Sometimes we're better off getting shut of them. If we had a different climate then there would be more of a case for loads of big trees to provide shade.

Where were the tree huggers?

Oh yes, it doesn't affect them does it?

If it's not knocking money off their houses, they don't give a stuff.

First of all, that's bobbins. Second, I don't think anyone knew Amey were going to hack the trees. Thirdly, are you admitting in your post that tree felling has a negative effect?

---------- Post added 10-03-2018 at 17:07 ----------

Fitzalan Sq looks brighter and better already without the trees. They made it far too dark and dingy.

Trees aren't the right answer in every situation. Sometimes we're better off getting shut of them. If we had a different climate then there would be more of a case for loads of big trees to provide shade.

No one is against proper management of trees: pollarding is a decent compromise for very tall mature trees like that. I just hope they remember that trees are an asset, not a problem.

Sheffield Tree Action Groups on facebook is a good place to follow what is happening to Sheffield's trees. Prepare to be shocked, I kid you not.

Oh you'll be shocked all right, they're completely bonkers.

STAG Facebook is like posh version of Jeremy Kyle.

I know trees have become a Sheffield issue but what oh what is going on in Fitzalan square?

Why are they chopping them down this morning?

Madness---the only bit of real greenery in the area....are SCC mad?

I'm for keeping trees but the ones in Fitzallen Square really did need attention, I don't like statues of royalty but even that was being lost by the foliage, sooner the statue was removed and re-erected on Fargate or near the Peace Gardens.

First of all, that's bobbins. Second, I don't think anyone knew Amey were going to hack the trees. Thirdly, are you admitting in your post that tree felling has a negative effect?

---------- Post added 10-03-2018 at 17:07 ----------

No one is against proper management of trees: pollarding is a decent compromise for very tall mature trees like that. I just hope they remember that trees are an asset, not a problem.

The trees are being completed removed, not just pollarded.

Fitzalan square has been swamped by these trees for years. The square has been neglected and in recent times the shops have descended into betting shops and pawn shops. I've seen the plans for the square and I'm impressed with them. They are going to improve the square, open it out and make it into a feature of the Town centre where events will be staged.

The Statue is the only traditional royal statue left in the town centre and it is nice that they are keeping it.

When the square is surrounded with cafes and bars it will be a real asset to the city again like it used to be.

.... Second, I don't think anyone knew Amey were going to hack the trees. .

Yes they did.

This has been planned by the council for ages. I don't work for them I'm just a local who takes an interest in local developments.

Edited by muddycoffee

Guest makapaka

People forget these were or ornamental trees - they weren’t planted to sustain the environment- they were just to look pretty.

The council aren’t chopping woodland down - they’re replacing ornamental trees.