Fitzalan square regeneration

bus man

People forget these were or ornamental trees - they weren’t planted to sustain the environment- they were just to look pretty.

The council aren’t chopping woodland down - they’re replacing ornamental trees.

Why chop them down , only to replace them ?

Guest makapaka
Why chop them down , only to replace them ?

Because they are redesigning the square and the new design is better.

Guest makapaka
In whos opinion ?

Well I think it looks great.

Do you think the existing square is better than the new design?

I think the new design is very bland and costly . They could have redesigned the square leaving the statue and trees where they are

I agree. Sheffield Council are really behind the times if they think the planned replacement trees are acceptable in this type of location.

The perfect trees for this type of location were the ones they already had..

Guest makapaka
I agree. Sheffield Council are really behind the times if they think the planned replacement trees are acceptable in this type of location.

The perfect trees for this type of location were the ones they already had..

Maybe the redevelopment isn’t just about trees??

Guest makapaka
No maybe its about something else . What do you think about the council lying over the tree felling strategy ? Quote " dosent look good "

Doesn’t look good if they’re giving out conflicting info - never said otherwise.

What do you think of the fitzalan sq proposals?

Yes, they WERE noticeably absent when they were chopping the trees down in the East End of the city. Still, they are only oiks aint they?

Why havent they trucked up to save the trees in the Square then? Oh hang on, its not in their street is it!!!

They were nowhere in sight before Christmas around Hillsborough or Shirecliffe, very strange seeing how they are trying to keep the city green, well their half of the city that is.

---------- Post added 10-03-2018 at 23:37 ----------

Fitzalan square has been swamped by these trees for years. The square has been neglected and in recent times the shops have descended into betting shops and pawn shops. I've seen the plans for the square and I'm impressed with them. They are going to improve the square, open it out and make it into a feature of the Town centre where events will be staged.

The Statue is the only traditional royal statue left in the town centre and it is nice that they are keeping it.

When the square is surrounded with cafes and bars it will be a real asset to the city again like it used to be.

Yes they did.

This has been planned by the council for ages. I don't work for them I'm just a local who takes an interest in local developments.

Have they got rid of the pigeons ?

It's been a while since i was down there.