Fitzalan square regeneration

bus man

I would just have expected people to be more positive which is what I said.

What was wrong with Fitzalan Sq before the trees were cut down? Nothing , apart from the cheap shops that surround it . Your council seems to think that a new paved area (at great cost , when they are skint) will somehow gentrify it with upmarket coffee shops and eateries . At the same time as basically giving up on that side of town

What was wrong with Fitzalan Sq before the trees were cut down? Nothing , apart from the cheap shops that surround it . Your council seems to think that a new paved area (at great cost , when they are skint) will somehow gentrify it with upmarket coffee shops and eateries . At the same time as basically giving up on that side of town

They are not "giving up" that side of town. They are just changing its primary purpose.

I dont know how many times I have to say this on this forum. A city centre is not just some shopping mall.

The newly created public space following the removal of the old dark, dingy and lets face it seedy peace gardens and eggbox has created vast improvements and footfall to the area. The same can happen with Fitzallen Square.

There is far more to the city than just retail.

They are not "giving up" that side of town. They are just changing its primary purpose.

I dont know how many times I have to say this on this forum. A city centre is not just some shopping mall.

The newly created public space following the removal of the old dark, dingy and lets face it seedy peace gardens and eggbox has created vast improvements and footfall to the area. The same can happen with Fitzallen Square.

There is far more to the city than just retail.

well said, will be interesting to see the changes down there

At the same time as basically giving up on that side of town

You're kidding, right?

Grey-to-green (phases 1, 2 and 3), the digital campus, the knowledge gateway, the castle public space, kelham island, etc.

Hardly 'giving up'...

• 3 months later...

High crime and anti-social behaviour area, focal point for vulnerable people, looked run down and was avoided by most any time after dusk?

It's like the castle markets all over again when people got face on about that dump getting knocked down.

The trees were not the cause of the problems you mention, nor was removing them necessary to regenerate the space.

They weren't the root cause but I believe they may have contributed to the issue by blocking out light into the square as well as preventing CCTV coverage reaching parts of the square.

We don't live in a time where we have police officers standing on every corner, so sometimes we have to look at other ways of preventing crime and ASB, including addressing the environment these issues take place in.

I know we disagree on this but there's my opinion for what it's worth.

They weren't the root cause but I believe they may have contributed to the issue by blocking out light into the square as well as preventing CCTV coverage reaching parts of the square.

We don't live in a time where we have police officers standing on every corner, so sometimes we have to look at other ways of preventing crime and ASB, including addressing the environment these issues take place in.

I know we disagree on this but there's my opinion for what it's worth.

I think maintenance of the trees could have gone a long way in solving any of those issues (if they were issues) - I don't believe removing all the trees entirely was the only solution. Nor was removing all the trees necessary to complete the regeneration - I think only one tree was actually in the way of any substantial ground work.

Hopefully the square will be nicely regenerated, and the replacement trees will actually have some size and substance to them. The area needs more than just a nice square of course, but hopefully this might act as a catalyst.

• 1 month later...

So all the previous happened in March 2018. It is now September and the place looks like its been wrecked and abandoned. Even the felled trees have sprouted shoots and there are new leaves. All extremely sad. Will it ever get finished or will it just become another of Sheffield's hideous eyesores. :confused: