The Future. Good or Bad. What do you think?

30% is a lot, but we had excellent pensions and services, so personally I think it was worth it. They pay these sorts of rates in Scandinavian countries and they have the best state of the art services, a steady economy, and a happy people.

As for the 98% only 750,000 were in this tax bracket, they were the super rich of the day and probably still had £millions to spare.

If I was paying 30% I would expect the super rich to pay about 50% as long as they actually paid it, and didn't employ teams of dodgy accountants to avoid it. They'd still have billions left.

---------- Post added 07-03-2018 at 00:11 ----------

The super rich still move abroad to avoid tax now, with their pals the Tories in charge.

Face it, they just don't like paying tax. The richer they are, the greedier they get.

Excellent pensions?

How many pensioners lived in poverty in the 1970s Anna?

How many pensioners live in poverty today?

Edited by mort

The tax burden on the wealthy has almost trebled since the 1970s.

High earners are now responsible for paying a higher proportion of Britain's total income tax bill than they have done under any Labour government.

That's because so many people are on very low pay. Would they like to swap places

---------- Post added 07-03-2018 at 00:34 ----------

More statistics Anna that are wrong..(you want to look a bit closer)

Thought everything was better off in the 1970's?

Better, not better off.

---------- Post added 07-03-2018 at 00:37 ----------

Excellent pensions?

How many pensioners lived in poverty in the 1970s Anna?

How many pensioners live in poverty today?

assuming we are talking about relative poverty I would imagine it's pretty much every pensioner who has to rely only on the state pension.

Edited by mort
broken tags again

That's because so many people are on very low pay. Would they like to swap places?

---------- Post added 07-03-2018 at 00:34 ----------

Better, not better off.

---------- Post added 07-03-2018 at 00:37 ----------

assuming we are talking about relative poverty I would imagine it's pretty much every pensioner who has to rely only on the state pension.

H i Anna, how many live on the basic state pension?

Edited by mort
broken tags again

Scandinavians happy?Can you explain their suicide rates,,,about twice the Uk's? What was the state pension in the 70's...

Too many variables to get an accurate picture

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

For instance look at these 2 lists from WHO, both based on 100,000 people, per year.

The first lists UK in 123rd place

The second lists UK in 42nd place simply because it's standardized by age.

You also have to ask (for example) if suicide is legal in a particular country which skews the figures - for example how does a country such as Switzerland, with it's Dignitas Clinic measure up? Bhutan with its famous 'happiness' index which rates it as one of the happiest countries has a surprisingly high suicide rate. But then they consider suicide as a viable 'life' choice, etc etc.

Re: State Pension in 1975

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2862456/How-pensions-changed-1975-NAPF-issues-40th-annual-survey.html

Adjusted for inflation, today's pensions are slightly lower than in 1975. Our Pensions are now the lowest in the EU

Edited by Anna B

Too many variables to get an accurate picture

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

For instance look at these 2 lists from WHO, both based on 100,000 people, per year.

The first lists UK in 123rd place

The second lists UK in 42nd place simply because it's standardized by age.

You also have to ask (for example) if suicide is legal in a particular country which skews the figures - for example how does a country such as Switzerland, with it's Dignitas Clinic measure up? Bhutan with its famous 'happiness' index which rates it as one of the happiest countries has a surprisingly high suicide rate. But then they consider suicide as a viable 'life' choice, etc etc.

It is well known that suicide and alcohol levels in Northern Europe increase the further north you go, I Guess a lot to do with lack of light

I'd sooner be living now than at any time in the past....and I daresay people in a hundred years time will be saying that they'd sooner be living then than now..

I totally agree. In 100 years they will wonder how we coped without technology.

I often hear stories from older relatives about life without central heating and the windows frozen up on the inside. I'm old, but not quite old enough to remember that. :)