Scott Walker & The Walker Brothers in Sheffield

I'm currently involved with research relating to singer Scott Walker/Scott Engel and The Walker Brothers (John Maus, Gary Leeds and Scott Engel) and their appearances in Sheffield. I know, having talked to John before his death a few years ago, that the Walkers appeared twice in the city in 1966 (City Hall and Gaumont Cinema); Scott appeared once as a solo artist at the old Cavendish Nightclub in 1968. When John formed The New Walker Brothers in 1974 they played at the Fiesta (which I remember was nearly three quarters empty on the night). What I can't find is confirmation that the original reformed line-up reportedly played the city in 1976 as part of a promotional tour. Anyone out there able to confirm if the '76 appearance actually happened? If so, where did they play? Any fond memories welcome...

I was at the Fiesta when the Walker Brothers appeared. Believe me it was the worst show I have ever sat through. The first half was passable. The second half was diabolical. One of them came on to the stage and started talking. Rambling on about nothing, you could tell by the way he talked and acted that he was high on something. It didn't get any better when they started singing. They all must have took something during the interval. Everyone around us was saying they were drugged up.

I'm currently involved with research relating to singer Scott Walker/Scott Engel and The Walker Brothers (John Maus, Gary Leeds and Scott Engel) and their appearances in Sheffield. I know, having talked to John before his death a few years ago, that the Walkers appeared twice in the city in 1966 (City Hall and Gaumont Cinema); Scott appeared once as a solo artist at the old Cavendish Nightclub in 1968. When John formed The New Walker Brothers in 1974 they played at the Fiesta (which I remember was nearly three quarters empty on the night). What I can't find is confirmation that the original reformed line-up reportedly played the city in 1976 as part of a promotional tour. Anyone out there able to confirm if the '76 appearance actually happened? If so, where did they play? Any fond memories welcome...

I saw the Walker Brothers at the Esquire Cub (Leadmill Road) in 1965 which seemed an unlikely venue as it was basically a Blues club. The Mojo (Pete Stringfellow) would have been more suitable but there you go.

I was at the Fiesta when the Walker Brothers appeared. Believe me it was the worst show I have ever sat through. The first half was passable. The second half was diabolical. One of them came on to the stage and started talking. Rambling on about nothing, you could tell by the way he talked and acted that he was high on something. It didn't get any better when they started singing. They all must have took something during the interval. Everyone around us was saying they were drugged up.

I take it this was the 1976 Fiesta appearance and not the 1974? Regards - Steve Pinder.

I saw the Walker Brothers at the Esquire Cub (Leadmill Road) in 1965 which seemed an unlikely venue as it was basically a Blues club. The Mojo (Pete Stringfellow) would have been more suitable but there you go.

I was there that night they played the Esquire. I think they barely played more than a couple of songs before they sought refuge in the dressing room at the back of the stage to escape the girls that were trying to storm it.

I was there that night they played the Esquire. I think they barely played more than a couple of songs before they sought refuge in the dressing room at the back of the stage to escape the girls that were trying to storm it.

Yes, that's right, the place was full of screaming young girls that probably never went to the Esquire before or since. Gary Leeds was about as good a drummer as I was !