Russian Chemical Weapon attack in Salisbury

Given the gravity of the situation the Govt response to Russian actions was pretty poor expelling a few diplomats and putting a travel ban on some others was a lame response . We still have a number of Dodgy Russians living in the UK with suspect wealth. But I guess money talks !

• 2 months later...

Now Putin's leading political opponent has been been poisoned with something that sounds like VX or Sarin, and has been airlifted to Germany now that most of it will have been metabolised.

It's almost as if Putin doesn't care if people know that Russia is responsible, and wishes to emphasise that this is, in fact, entirely the point.

Edited by Phanerothyme

On 25/08/2020 at 11:06, Waldo said:

Just asking for a friend, how much Polonium would be required for a fatal dose? Would 0.1 microcuries (uCi) do the job?

via wikipedia -  A fatal 4.5 Sv dose can be caused by ingesting 8.8 MBq (240 μCi), about 50 nanograms (ng), or inhaling 1.8 MBq (49 μCi), about 10 ng. One gram of 210Po could thus in theory poison 20 million people, of whom 10 million would die.

17 hours ago, Phanerothyme said:

via wikipedia -  A fatal 4.5 Sv dose can be caused by ingesting 8.8 MBq (240 μCi), about 50 nanograms (ng), or inhaling 1.8 MBq (49 μCi), about 10 ng. One gram of 210Po could thus in theory poison 20 million people, of whom 10 million would die.

Would that be ALL of Putin's opponents?

On 30/08/2020 at 00:23, Phanerothyme said:

Ah, I found a place on the (regular non dark) internet selling Polonium 210, but at $89 for a 0.1 uCI sample, you’d need maybe 2400, so probably not the cheapest assassination!

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87&products_id=1284&zenid=idc74jg0m21a8nam7jhvihkul4

Edited by Waldo

On 31/08/2020 at 08:49, Waldo said:

Ah, I found a place on the (regular non dark) internet selling Polonium 210, but at $89 for a 0.1 uCI sample, you’d need maybe 2400, so probably not the cheapest assassination!

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87&products_id=1284&zenid=idc74jg0m21a8nam7jhvihkul4

United Nuclear don't deliver to the UK, I'm afraid. There's so much on that site I love, not least the Uranium ceramic ware.

Also, if you get 240 uCi in 50 nanograms, a 0.1 uCi sample of Polonium is likely to have a mass no higher than 0.0000000002084g

8 minutes ago, butlers said:

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny was poisoned with a novichok nerve agent.

It's the Kremlin's Calling Card.

Edited by Phanerothyme

17 minutes ago, butlers said:

Another victim of Putin

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny was poisoned with a novichok nerve agent.

Allowed to leave Russia after he fell ill and is in a German hospital.

if the Russians wanted him dead, i am sure he would be dead, its seems odd to me that we keep having failed attempts at people lives, i smell a rat here

8 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

if the Russians wanted him dead, i am sure he would be dead, its seems odd to me that we keep having failed attempts at people lives, i smell a rat here

who said somebody tried to kill him?

Just hospitalising, crippling and putting opponents  out of action sends a powerful message to his enemies. If they die well thats just a bonus