Old fishing tackle shops

I know this is an old thread but after reading it i have been wracking my brains trying to remember the name of an old tackle shop that was on Shalesmoor.

Stan Towers is the name that i seem to think it was...can anyone confirm this.

Also seem to think that Wolstenholme was the name of Bartholemew's before George took it over at the bottom of Leppings Lane.

I know this is an old thread but after reading it i have been wracking my brains trying to remember the name of an old tackle shop that was on Shalesmoor.

Stan Towers is the name that i seem to think it was...can anyone confirm this.

Also seem to think that Wolstenholme was the name of Bartholemew's before George took it over at the bottom of Leppings Lane.

It was Stan Towers, he later went to work for Bennetts.

The others I remenber were, Brian Thomson, and brothers Dick & Dave Clegg.

m&p

Have asked this question before on a different thread ( old shops in gleadless i think ), but does anybody remember the tackle shop at gleadless town end, top of gleadless road, was called godbeheres tackle !! Bought a beautiful pinto reel for about a quid circa 1963 ish. It,s the small shop at the side of the archway.

Think Ernest Stamfords is still there - went there maybe about 5 years ago for reel rings and butt stop for Stamford rod bought at boot sale for £1 and £2 for parts, got great little rod for £3. OH has got Billy Clarke carp rod also bought from boot sale for £10, it's a cracker and I believe Billy Clarke is also still going. There used to be a fishing tackle shop on Stubbin Lane at Firth Park. near to where vets is now but can't remember name of it

Edited by denlin

Harolds, on Richmond Rd, bobs worth of maggots, 1/2 lb of groundbait, for aston ponds or Clowne. If you wanted wood sawn to any specification, or a quarter inch wing nut, he would have it, or anything else, plus parafin, my sat morning chore, after papers, happy days

Think Ernest Stamfords is still there - went there maybe about 5 years ago for reel rings and butt stop for Stamford rod bought at boot sale for £1 and £2 for parts, got great little rod for £3. OH has got Billy Clarke carp rod also bought from boot sale for £10, it's a cracker and I believe Billy Clarke is also still going. There used to be a fishing tackle shop on Stubbin Lane at Firth Park. near to where vets is now but can't remember name of it

It was called EXLEYS later it was owned by Trever liegh. The shop started trading around 1957/8:)

Does anyone remember the tackle shop at the bottom of Sharrow Vale Road, we used to get our bits and bait from there before getting the bus up to Forge Dam. It was a few doors down from where the off licence now is at the bottom of Cowlishaw Road.

My late Dad took up fishing in the fifties on Doctors orders to get him out in a relaxed atmosphere in the fresh air without a lot of exertion due to a chest complaint, and for his birthdays and other anniveraries I used to buy tackle from a shop on Ecclesall Rd at the bottom of Hanover St and the name Tom Poyser comes to mind.

The shop on High Street in Ecco was a lifeline for me. Getting my maggots and going to Ecco Pond or Worborough. The shop was really little and the bloke that ran it was a real Jack Hargreaves he was always giving us tips on how and where to fish.