Old fishing tackle shops

In the 50's there use to be a fishing tackle shop on a road between the end of Bramhall Lane and Little London road. Anybody remember it and what it was called? My grandfathers coach use to pick fishermen up from there and take them to Boston on a sunday.

The shop was on Asline Road,

It's going back a bit for me, but the name 'Maurice Jackson' comes to mind,

I may be wrong?

This list from the 1973 Kelly's Directory might bring back a few memories.

Thanks for that.

To add .. Calcott's, Number 2 Lady's Bridge.

m&p

Edited by me-and-pippo
info added

The shop was on Asline Road,

It's going back a bit for me, but the name 'Maurice Jackson' comes to mind,

I may be wrong?

Thanks for that.

To add .. Calcott's, Number 2 Lady's Bridge.

m&p

No you are not wrong it was Maurice Jackson how did I forget that one, and Broadheads on Ecclesall Road.

Brings back happy memories of days on the bankside.

There was one on the High Street in Ecclesfield opposite the Black Bull car park (the building is still there but a bit derelict) half a pint of maggots ,a new porcupine float and a packet of hooks ,kept half the kids on Parson Cross off the streets for a week at a time in Ecco Pond , happy days .

In the 50's there use to be a fishing tackle shop on a road between the end of Bramhall Lane and Little London road. Anybody remember it and what it was called? My grandfathers coach use to pick fishermen up from there and take them to Boston on a sunday.

From memory was their a tackle shop somewhere in the area between Asline Rd, the Earl of Arundel, and Lowfield School all demolished a long time ago.

remember bennetts when it was on howard street,there used to be one at darnall on the left,just undeer the bridge,then another appeared round the corner on the main road

Here you go depoix,

a Bennetts advert from when it was on Howard Street.

Link here

Brings back memories.

m&p

There was one on Newhall Road, just down from the snooker hall. Stamfords I think it was called, young chap called Keith had it.:)

Harry Wright's Fishing Tackle Shop, Old Brompton Billiard Hall on the corner of Brompton Road and Newhall Road. My Dad's uncle, Harry Wright, owned it in the early 1960's.

George Bartholemew, my cousins husband, owned a tackle shop on the corner of Leppings Lane and Penistone Road in the 1970's.

Edited by Nodens