Dronfield Civic Centre

I have lived in Dronfield for over 30 years and have seen many changes locally within the civic centre. I have been a customer and friend of the staff in Geoffs DIY in the civic centre for around 15 years. They provide excellent service and advice the other BIG SHEDS cant touch upon and stock a huge amount of stock both in the shop and one off requests which they can usually get into stock within days, they deliver locally and are part of the community both business wise and a friendly face.

HSBC closed down a little time ago yet the agents of the centre still front this on their current commercial properties they are seeking to rent out. The demise of the HSBC and other branded shops in the centre over the last few years has reshaped the centre with far less pulling power for locals to take the effort to go and visit and shop there.

The arrival of sainsburys, aldi, and a new retail park at meadowhead as going to draw customers away from a once thriving centre. With the co-op now closed and regular shopping for food now going to other local food retailers, what now for the civic centre?

Poundstretchers arrival and the store due to open in around three weeks what next? Does poundstretcher sell bread, milk, chilled, frozen items to draw shoppers in NO. Will they decide to stock these and make a concept first maybe not. The civic centre is no retail park but looking at poundstretchers strategy with their new shops they appear to be venturing into these sort of sites. Is it a gamble? Have they been offerred preferential rates by the civic centres workman based in manchester. Who does this new arrival benefit? Will the centre get the increased footfall to enable the remainder units to survive?

This has been hurried and I cannot see poundstretcher surviving as it will not draw the kind of customers to both benefit itself and the rest of the centres business units. Please local residents and local retail units please join this debate in a positive manner and lets see where it takes us.

If senior management from poundstretcher are serious about the success of their unit then look at what local residents want they want a discount supermarket you have the opportunity to diversify and make this a concept store with a difference it would bring huge success both to you and local residents. The aim should be to compete and take business away from Sainsbury's and Aldi and bring it back to a once thriving civic centre.

They have free parking within the civic they also have a limited bus service; there are plenty of opportunities to bring people from the surrounding areas back to the civic with a trial free bus services, poundstretcher have an opportunity to make a real difference get it right and everyone will benefit.

Edited by smallbusines
Easier to digest!

Dronfield is a town in its own right in the county of Derbyshire, not a suburb of Sheffield contrary to some people's beliefs! Unfortunately we have a Sheffield postcode, but so do Chesterfield, Hope Valley and places even further afield and they're not suburbs of Sheffield either. just saying!

---------- Post added 22-03-2018 at 12:25 ----------

Anyway; back on subject. Just don't shop there!

I have heard they have taken over the remaining years lease on from Coop so its not guaranteed that they will be there long-term.

Its a shame that those shops have closed and i fear that a costa or sharbucks will come in and take the old HSBC site over which would be a disaster for the excellent independant coffee shops that we have in the town. I wonder if a wine bar would do well in the Civic Centre, with the Blue Stoops and the Manor House so close it would make a decent night out.

Heard Geoffs is going can't imagine poundstretcher lasting long also.Its a bit dead in that area at moment but been told that high rents are a big problem. Enough coffee shops so can't see anymore of those , without coop or another supermarket why go there to shop .Chemists , travel agents and banks have all been tried . Mobile phone shop perhaps .How about RBS moving from where they are now and make that building into Flats , and move into civic where HSBC was .

Edited by parkydave

I wasn't tying to belittle pound stretcher when I said it may not last long , I was thinking it may find it difficult when the reduced rent period runs out . Its not a shop I have used a lot in the past but you would think they will have done their homework on the area but at least its keeps the coop staff in work for a while longer .