What was the first Indian restaurant?

So the Naaz, Nirmals, and the Indus are candidates. I remember eating in the Curry Centre on London Road in the seventies. But there must have been 'Indian' restaurants in Sheffield well before that - in the fifties. Which one was first?

So the Naaz, Nirmals, and the Indus are candidates. I remember eating in the Curry Centre on London Road in the seventies. But there must have been 'Indian' restaurants in Sheffield well before that - in the fifties. Which one was first?

There was one called the ORIENTAL on barrack hill just up from hillsborough,i went there in about 1960 and i am sure it was Indian.

There was an Indian restaurant on Ecclesall Rd years ago. Must have been there in the 60's I'm sure - Taj Mahal I think. Perhaps some people from the Hunters Bar thread will remember it. Think it may have been below Hickmott Rd.

Cheers, Jass

There was one called the ORIENTAL on barrack hill just up from hillsborough,i went there in about 1960 and i am sure it was Indian.

Would that be on Langsett Rd?

I remember going to what I thought was a Chines restaurant about that location.

I ordered something that contained bean sprouts .Not being familiar with them I said they where using potato peelings.

I was nearly three years in Hong Kong and I do not remember getting bean sprouts in a meal

Would that be on Langsett Rd?

I remember going to what I thought was a Chines restaurant about that location.

I ordered something that contained bean sprouts .Not being familiar with them I said they where using potato peelings.

I was nearly three years in Hong Kong and I do not remember getting bean sprouts in a meal

I must be having a senior moment, cant remember if it literally sold "oriental"food" ie. a bit of chinese and indian

• 3 months later...

We used to go to the New Bengal a lot in the late 60s.It was on the junction of Glossop rd/West street but the oldest one I can think of was very near there right beside Pollards grocers.I think it was called either Everest or Himalaya and had been opened in the late 50s early 60s.

Archived