Speakers Corner - London

Been watching a few clips on YouTube recently from Speakers Corner.

Obviously it is steeped in history regarding 'free speech'. However, I wonder how long that will last.

It seems to me, that the right of everybody, to say what they want there will come under scrutiny in the very near future.

By all accounts theres a Police presence there constantly to monitor assaults, threats and violence in recent months and years.

Is the end nigh for Speakers corner ?

Hope not. I was a regular spectator there throughout the 1970s and loved it. The only times it got a bit dodgy were when IrishRepublicans were getting lairy or Zionists were there, what a bunch of unpleasant nasty oiks they were, had a soft spot for the Palestinian cause ever since.

Out of interest why do you raise this issue now ?

It seems to me, that the right of everybody, to say what they want there will come under scrutiny in the very near future.

The trouble is even at Speakers Corner you don't have the absolute right of free speech. You can still be done for slander, racism and hate speech and some other breaches.

There are just a few paces that there is free speech and that is in a Court of Law and Parliament.

Hope not. I was a regular spectator there throughout the 1970s and loved it. The only times it got a bit dodgy were when IrishRepublicans were getting lairy or Zionists were there, what a bunch of unpleasant nasty oiks they were, had a soft spot for the Palestinian cause ever since.

Out of interest why do you raise this issue now ?

I just came across on YouTube as I said.

Theres lots of stuff on there as you can imagine. It (speakers corner) just doesn't seem to be the place as I imagined it.

Seems lots of threats, intimidation etc - and it looks as though it needs lots of Policing.

Never been there myself, and from what ive seen, I don't think I will be going anytime soon.

---------- Post added 24-03-2018 at 14:38 ----------

But surely if you go out and speak at speakers corner, you'll be under scrutiny from people anyway. That's the point surely.

Have a quick browse for yourself on YouTube.

I'm not on about heckling / banter here. Of course you are under scrutiny if you speak there.

But the whole point of the venue is... you are allowed free speech without fear of violence or intimidation.

Is this type of behaviour new to Speakers Corner in recent years ?

But the whole point of the venue is... you are allowed free speech without fear of violence or intimidation.

But as stated even at speakers corner you don have absolute free speech. I suppose the question I should ask is what do you consider as free speech?

Edited by apelike

But as stated even at speakers corner you don have absolute free speech. I suppose the question I should ask is what do you consider as free speech?

That's a very broad question apelike ! lol

Free speech is different to 'hate' speech - and should be adhered to at all times, I would imagine they are the ground rules.

But you should have the freedom to discuss subjects that 'may' 'will' 'could' offend people without being intimidated or threatened - or was that just in the good old days of Speakers Corner ?

Its obviously not operating as it has done historically if there has to be a Police presence there these days.

That's a very broad question apelike ! lol

Its not very broad and yes there are ground rules. We either have total free speech as in the USA or we have to accept conditional free speech as it is now which seems to work fine. That means amongst others, no slandering, no racism, no hate speech, and probably why there is a police presence at speakers corner.