Speakers Corner - London

There has always been a police presence at SC...anyone suggesting this is a new phenomena is miss informed. As with any public platform that exists then policing either increases or decreases depending on the substance being debated.

The OP is probably overstating something that doesn’t exist...hate speech in my opinion is welcome..it’s a deathnail platform . Mel has a point..”please don’t remove my right to hate”... don’t worry..it isn’t ...might be a good idea to get down there instead of whining through yootoob though.

There was a lot of humour there many years ago. As mentioned above there was always a police presence but can never remember them intervening.

The «*Entertainment*» and it was very entertaining, came in the cut and thrust between Speakers and Hecklers many of whom were highly entertaining, witty and clever. The only threat at the time seemed to be the overpowering overwhelming impact from the Hecklers who seemed on’the verge of destroying the spectacle altogether.

I’ve now watched some of the You Tubes mentioned. The irony of masses of yobs, waving Union Jacks, using physical force and threats, shouting «* free speech «.* Speakers Corner has always highlighted the best of British values and these «* Patriots*» don’t seem to get it.

There was a lot of humour there many years ago. As mentioned above there was always a police presence but can never remember them intervening.

The «*Entertainment*» and it was very entertaining, came in the cut and thrust between Speakers and Hecklers many of whom were highly entertaining, witty and clever. The only threat at the time seemed to be the overpowering overwhelming impact from the Hecklers who seemed on’the verge of destroying the spectacle altogether.

I’ve now watched some of the You Tubes mentioned. The irony of masses of yobs, waving Union Jacks, using physical force and threats, shouting «* free speech «.* Speakers Corner has always highlighted the best of British values and these «* Patriots*» don’t seem to get it.

What's the problem with waving the Union Flag?.

Angel1

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

The real irony is the content of their “free speech” they want the content validated by the masses rather than being ridiculed. Haters are really good for satire....love em!!:hihi:

Been watching a few clips on YouTube recently from Speakers Corner.

Obviously it is steeped in history regarding 'free speech'. However, I wonder how long that will last.

It seems to me, that the right of everybody, to say what they want there will come under scrutiny in the very near future.

By all accounts theres a Police presence there constantly to monitor assaults, threats and violence in recent months and years.

Is the end nigh for Speakers corner ?

Any links to the clips on YouTube?

Funnily enough I was down there only a couple of weeks ago for the first time in over 10 years. I don't know whether I went on the wrong day but where were all the passionate, fiery political speakers and mad conspiracy nuts who made the place what it was?

All I saw was a whole load of dreary religious nutters all trying to convince each other that their god was better than everyone else's god!

Very disappointed! :mad:

Funnily enough I was down there only a couple of weeks ago for the first time in over 10 years. I don't know whether I went on the wrong day but where were all the passionate, fiery political speakers and mad conspiracy nuts who made the place what it was?

All I saw was a whole load of dreary religious nutters all trying to convince each other that their god was better than everyone else's god!

Very disappointed! :mad:

The world has moved on.

People who really want to get on their soapbox can make far far better impact by spouting their guff all over social media or blogs or Vlogs or youtube films or annonymous forums just like this one.

Why bother with the train fare to speakers corner to be observed by a few dozen bewildered tourists and the odd fanatic when you can rant away on the internet to a potential global reach of millions.

The world has moved on.

People who really want to get on their soapbox can make far far better impact by spouting their guff all over social media or blogs or Vlogs or youtube films or annonymous forums just like this one.

Why bother with the train fare to speakers corner to be observed by a few dozen bewildered tourists and the odd fanatic when you can rant away on the internet to a potential global reach of millions.

No more said.