A day aht ont’sharra ..

susie1

The Nags Head on Shales Moor had a day out on a sharra to Clowne (evening really) as the ex Corporation bus climbed the hill out of Mosbro we all had to get off and push as the bus stopped dead half way up.

The pie and pea supper at some pub or other was crap( to top off the trip that is).

I remember it as a "Sharrabang" most often reverted to "Sharra." Yes its an old French word, Charabanc, that we in south Yorkshire had adopted for bus. Not sure about the south of England. And mostly for the coach type vehicle that went to the coast on WMC trips. We went to school on a bus, not a Sharra (after the trams had disappeared).

Possibly a holdover from the early 20th century when many French expressions crept into the English language, esp. as French was the primary language of diplomacy, which we used, until after WW2 ?

It was where the Aven works is now in the war they made ammo and sten guns and other ordnance.Hemswell was once commanded by Guy Gibson In the cold war it held a very large stock of Hydrogen bombs.

The Aven Works were part of Firth Brown Tools group, I served some of my apprenticeship there in 1967, then back to number 4 gate FBTon Carlisle St East.