The cheek of it - Hostage families condemn complaints of IS 'Beatles'

Which bit don’t you get?

If they’ve been stripped of their UK nationality you would have to make them nationals again to have them tried here wouldn’t you?

You’ve just said the same in the post above.

Go ahead. Point out to me, (& others), exactly where in my post above or any preceeding post, where I have used the wrong word, 'Renationalise', unlike yourself earlier?

You renationalise industries; you renaturalise individuals who have had their previous naturalised status revoked.

Go ahead. Point my error out. Good luck on that one but you've still not clarified my earlier response to your post so I ask again. In what sense do YOU mean to renationalise an individual?

---------- Post added 04-04-2018 at 16:26 ----------

How can someone born in London be stripped of UK nationality?

Alexanda Kotey is also part Ghanaian, part Greek-Cypriot. If he has duel nationality & has a passport for one of these other countries, the UK Govt can revoke his UK passport.

It's happened on quite a few occasions over the past decade or so. One of the reasons could be his presence in the UK is no longer conducive to national security.

Guest makapaka
Go ahead. Point out to me, (& others), exactly where in my post above or any preceeding post, where I have used the wrong word, 'Renationalise', unlike yourself earlier?

You renationalise industries; you renaturalise individuals who have had their previous naturalised status revoked.

Go ahead. Point my error out. Good luck on that one but you've still not clarified my earlier response to your post so I ask again. In what sense do YOU mean to renationalise an individual?.

Google the political definition of renationalise.

Anyway - call it renatularise - call it giving back citizenship whatever - the point is largely the same.

What’s your point?

To be clear, someone with dual citizenship, even though born in the UK, can have UK citizenship revoked? That doesn't seem right really.

A lot of people have been given Irish passports recently, a reaction to Brexit, the UK could in theory now revoke the UK citizenship of these people (given cause) and they'd have to leave and go 'home' to Ireland?

To be clear, someone with dual citizenship, even though born in the UK, can have UK citizenship revoked? That doesn't seem right really.

A lot of people have been given Irish passports recently, a reaction to Brexit, the UK could in theory now revoke the UK citizenship of these people (given cause) and they'd have to leave and go 'home' to Ireland?

Why not? I've never really understood dual citizenship. You either want to be part of a country or you don't. That's why freedom of movement was a good idea - you can work and commit as much or as little to where you live as you wanted. Dual citizenship struck me as a bigger statement.

Why not? I've never really understood dual citizenship. You either want to be part of a country or you don't. That's why freedom of movement was a good idea - you can work and commit as much or as little to where you live as you wanted. Dual citizenship struck me as a bigger statement.[/quote

There was an apparent surge of interest in UK nationals applying for Rep. of Ireland passports, post Brexit.

Seem to remember that they'd consider you if either grandparent was Irish.

Why not? I've never really understood dual citizenship. You either want to be part of a country or you don't. That's why freedom of movement was a good idea - you can work and commit as much or as little to where you live as you wanted. Dual citizenship struck me as a bigger statement.

There was an apparent surge of interest in UK nationals applying for Rep. of Ireland passports, post Brexit.

Seem to remember that they'd consider you if either grandparent was Irish.

I know why theyve done it. They want to benefit from the free movement thing in the EU. But just go for the full irish citizenship rather than this half and half stuff.

How can someone born in London be stripped of UK nationality?

Because being born here doesn't automatically confer British Nationality (unless you were born here prior to 1983).

Edit: See part 1 for reference. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61

I have no idea as to the nationality of his parents at the time of his birth.

Edited by barleycorn