Message saying windows 10 will stop working.

It really depends on what windows is being used for. I have a mini PC attached to my TV so I can use it when my grandson is playing FIFA18 on my main PC, 32GB memory storage in that case is not a problem. You will also find that a lot of windows tablets only come with 32GB of eMMC of internal storage although modern ones now have 64GB. That can already be supplemented with an external drive but the problem arises with the window update installation as that requires at least 8GB free on the main drive which is the problem.

A way round it is to wait until windows releases an ISO with the update on and then do a fresh install.

It seems to be a problem if storage is that tight that it can’t be updated.

I haven’t switched on my 32GB hybrid laptop for some time so did so today. It is currently updating. The splash screen said that up to 6 GB free space was needed. This device had circa 11.64GB free space. I have hardly any documents, photographs, apps or third party programmes on it and I deleted Windows.old after the last big update. I use Defender for security.

Based on this hybrid, I would say that you need to go through the system carefully to find out what is taking up space because W10 shouldn’t need to take up such a large amount. At least it doesn’t on this laptop.

As has been said, maybe reducing the amount allocated to system restore might help free up space. Otherwise, maybe a reformat as has been suggested?

Edited by Jomie

I’d suggest you get a bigger hard drive. 30gb theses days isn’t big enough. An HD with a few hundred GB will only be a few quid.

I doubt you can easily upgrade the storage on most lappies that use flash memory, it will be soldered to the board.

Have you tried with a USB stick plugged in? That's what I had to do to update my 32GB laptop. Of course if your version is too old they might not have added that feature yet. It was a huge chore trying to get the first big update on it.

One option if diskclean is not enough is to look at disabling hibernation temporarily to do the update, as that usually frees up 1GB or more.

Also try and uninstall any Microsoft store apps you don't need, can help a little.