Winnie Madikizela-Mandela dies

Hard to treat her with the same respect has her ex husband.She was far from being the person he was.Her death squad murdered suspected informers and a lot of their victims were later found to be innocent.

Edited by area 51

I haven't even bothered to read the obituaries yet. I don't need to. Unlike melthebell I know southern Africa quite well and Winnie was part of the story. I saw her picture on the front pages of local newspapers all the time. I had a job there, paid my rent and electricity and water bills and everything.

I'll get round to reading Winnie's obituaries presently.

one musn't curse the dead and especially in Africa. But right now it's very difficult to come up with a single thing good to say about her.

Edited by blake

but right now it's very difficult to come up with a single thing good to say about her.

There is the zeal and the willingness to challenge the status quo. They were good features of the young Winnie. Shame about the rest of it.

Saw Labour's Peter Hain earlier on the BBC, paying tribute to Winnie Mandela.

Hain briefly touched on her later life, after Nelson Mandela came out of prison, stating her mistakes shouldn't detract from the struggles against apartide.

Fair enough, let's all just forget about the ordering of people to be 'Necklaced'; the complicity in the abduction & murdering of a child & the fraud & corruption.

me neither. None, or at least very few, of the consorts of African leaders seem to do very well. Look what happened to Mrs. Mugabe in Zimbabwe just now.

I used to live in South Africa. Winnie - and she is one of the few even vaguely political figures that I would call by her first name - was just not that bright. She didn't have a clue. One wonders why Madiba, who was so very bright indeed, married her in the first place.

Probably a case of the little head overruling the big head. Quite common, I believe. ;)

Saw Labour's Peter Hain earlier on the BBC, paying tribute to Winnie Mandela.

Hain briefly touched on her later life, after Nelson Mandela came out of prison, stating her mistakes shouldn't detract from the struggles against apartide.

Fair enough, let's all just forget about the ordering of people to be 'Necklaced'; the complicity in the abduction & murdering of a child & the fraud & corruption.

Peter Hain really is horrible

Nelson Mandela was such a womaniser that his first wife Evelyn just wouldn't put up with it. Winnie was only one of his over-the-counter pieces of action. Evelyn and Nelson divorced, because she told him no way am I putting up with that.

she was a female South African hero, Evelyn and she was from Transkei too like Madiba - his home girl. While Winnie was Xhosa too she was not from home, but from the eastern Cape. When Evelyn died in 2004, both Winnie and Graca Michel, Madiba's 3rd wife, who is not even South African, attended the funeral. It was a pivotal moment. I honestly think they all of them, Madiba and all his wives, realised that it was Evelyn that was the best one.

---------- Post added 02-04-2018 at 22:04 ----------

it was the telephone that did it. Winnie had never seen a telephone before she got inside the hotshot lawyer Mandela's Jo'Burg office.