Winnie Madikizela-Mandela dies

"In 1986 she embarrassed the anti-apartheid community with the statement in a speech that "we shall liberate this country" with "our boxes of matches and our necklaces" interpreted as an implicit endorsement of the political killings by burning which did enormous damage to the anti-apartheid movement between 1984 and 1987."

https://www.theguardian.com/century/1980-1989/Story/0,,110268,00.html

Oh dear, it seems this MP didn't realise what the quote meant:

Labour MP Naz Shah’s ‘necklacing’ Winnie Mandela tweet denounced

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-mp-naz-shah-s-necklacing-winnie-mandela-tweet-denounced-mxld502s2

It's not bad, but Tokyo Sexwale is better.

even the more racist type of white South Africans can grudgingly admit that the names that the blecks or the blicks have, can be inspired.

Edited by blake

I maintain unequivocally, that she should always be remembered, for giving the world, by fair means or foul, the greatest ever name that has ever been featured in a newspaper headline :

Stompie Moeketsi.

Sounds like a cool name for some new Adidas trainers, the Stompie Moeketsis.

Oh dear, it seems this MP didn't realise what the quote meant:

Labour MP Naz Shah’s ‘necklacing’ Winnie Mandela tweet denounced

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-mp-naz-shah-s-necklacing-winnie-mandela-tweet-denounced-mxld502s2

I am pretty sure that she does know what it means.She is not much younger than me and i remember seeing the horrific pictures on the front of newspapers of people being burned to death.

she's having the biggest send off of anybody ever has, except her ex-husband. Much bigger than Tambo, Sisulu, Slovo, or any of those top ANC dudes. They'll probably name an airport after her, possibly Port Elizabeth. It's the closest international airport to where she was born and so far it hasn't been named after any South African hero since they removed Hendrik Verwoerd's name from the sign. Maybe they'll rename the whole city as well, to Port Winnie.

She'll be remembered for necklacing, Stompie Moeketsi, and that 'Mandela United Football Team' (of murderers).

Not much there to recall with affection!

Black murdering black was nothing unusual, the Apartheid regime would most likely have turned a blind eye to it. She was a very evil and powerful woman, but how much did Nelson know? I’m sure that he wasn’t ordering murders from his prison cell, but I wager that he knew who was.