Changes to the MoT test from May

Is it, where did you get the information that it's a categorised dangerous under the new changes?

Draft manual is online.

A 13-pin trailer socket:

(i) not functioning correctly Major

(ii) not functioning at all Dangerous

It's also separate from the wiring being damaged, which is a major fail but not dangerous.

So if the wiring is likely to catch on fire it's a major fail, but if it plain just doesn't work it's dangerous???

Either way, it's all about keeping the car in decent nick.

Depends on the fail though, which is where the MOT can butt heads with the road traffic act.

For example, if the electrical socket on your tow bar doesn't work that is classed as a Dangerous fail.

If you drove that car (without trailer) on the road, are you driving a car in a dangerous condition??

Maybe, maybe not.

Has anyone actually had a tow bar socket tested ,I bought a tester for testing them but never seen an mot garage test a socket yet

It's also separate from the wiring being damaged, which is a major fail but not dangerous.

So if the wiring is likely to catch on fire it's a major fail, but if it plain just doesn't work it's dangerous???

Either way, it's all about keeping the car in decent nick.

If it simply doesnt work and you tow a caravan then you have no braking lamps or indicators from the rear... thats the dangerousness.

If it simply doesnt work and you tow a caravan then you have no braking lamps or indicators from the rear... thats the dangerousness.

Yes, but if it simply doesn't work, you will not be able to legally drive your car to somewhere else to have it repaired.

Of course you could simply remove it, it doesn't fail if it's not there!

I never said I was paying £55, I only said its possible to pay upto £55, the official rate.

Although you seem to contradict yourself a little there about labour rates and cheap MOTs since an MOT is supposed to take between 45 minutes and one hour.

Plus they're not quite the bargain they seem when lots of faults are found. Halfords is a good one for that.

Don't know why you feel the need to name call, although I have seen you posting quite a lot on several threads this week, what's up, got too much time on your hands again and suffering xkcd Duty Calls syndrome? :rolleyes:

Its only the opinion of someone though, can it be legally binding?

An MOT is only opinion too. Try using that argument when you get pulled over and the copper notices your tyres are bald.

Yes, but if it simply doesn't work, you will not be able to legally drive your car to somewhere else to have it repaired.

Of course you could simply remove it, it doesn't fail if it's not there!

Why won't you?

You can still remove the vehicle from the MOT station regardless.

But it hasn't failed a test yet..the paperwork will back that up..the "pre test" isn't registered anywhere...

A mechanic has told you your car is unroadworthy. It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway. Why is this difficult for you to understand?

A mechanic has told you your car is unroadworthy. It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway. Why is this difficult for you to understand?

A failed electrical connector will not meet the legal test for being unroadworthy despite what the shock headlines in the ragtop papers want you to beleive.