Changes to the MoT test from May

Why won't you?

You can still remove the vehicle from the MOT station regardless.

Because you will then be driving without an MOT. :roll: And you run a real risk of being caught on an ANPR camera, or possibly even being reported by the mechanic.

You will physically be able to, but it will be unlawful and you'll know it because the mechanic will tell you.

See post #41, and my link to the government guidelines. A dangerous fail will immediately invalidate the existing MOT. And a failure of the electrical hookup is listed as dangerous.

Because you will then be driving without an MOT. :roll: And you run a real risk of being caught on an ANPR camera, or possibly even being reported by the mechanic.

You will physically be able to, but it will be unlawful and you'll know it because the mechanic will tell you.

See post #41, and my link to the government guidelines. A dangerous fail will immediately invalidate the existing MOT. And a failure of the electrical hookup is listed as dangerous.

Talking to some mot testers on another site I'm on and they have put up / are putting up signs advising customers about driving away once the changes come in

Thats going to be very interesting for sites that dont repair vehicles then isn't it....

Points to note - you can drive withouot an MOT to a place of repair - so you can legally drive it home.

A failed MOT does NOT mean that the vehicle is unroadworthy. It MAY be so, but it may not.

A mechanic has told you your car is unroadworthy. It is illegal to drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway. Why is this difficult for you to understand?

"roadworthyness" can be a matter of opinion..you could take a car to one test station and it fail yet take it to another and the tester will pass it...I have had advisories on a car one year,done nothing to fix them but the next year they're not even mentioned..as I said would a mechanic deem your car unroadworthy with a rear number plate light out?

No because it doesn't meet the legal test for roadworthyness. Thats a seperate thing entirely from an MOT.

My classic Series landrover doenst need an MOT. Is it unroadworthy?

My new BMW is 2 years old. That doesnt need an MOT either.

They are separate and distinct things.

A failed electrical connector will not meet the legal test for being unroadworthy despite what the shock headlines in the ragtop papers want you to beleive.

And you're telling me this because...

---------- Post added 05-04-2018 at 15:16 ----------

"roadworthyness" can be a matter of opinion..you could take a car to one test station and it fail yet take it to another and the tester will pass it...I have had advisories on a car one year,done nothing to fix them but the next year they're not even mentioned..as I said would a mechanic deem your car unroadworthy with a rear number plate light out?

No, why would you think it would? Now, before we progress into ten pages of bickering would you care to tell what your point is?

For the avoidance of doubt my point is this:

It is illegal to drive a vehicle on the public highway in an unroadworthy condition. If a mechanic has told you your car is unroadworthy then you are doing this knowingly.

Over to you...

Edited by barleycorn

And you're telling me this because...

---------- Post added 05-04-2018 at 15:16 ----------

No, why would you think it would? Now, before we progress into ten pages of bickering would you care to tell what your point is?

For the avoidance of doubt my point is this:

It is illegal to drive a vehicle on the public highway in an unroadworthy condition. If a mechanic has told you your car is unroadworthy then you are doing this knowingly.

Over to you...

Unless of course the mechanic is wrong.....

A "dangerous" electrical connector on the back for the trailer is not going to make any vehicle unroadworthy.

Unless of course the mechanic is wrong.....

A "dangerous" electrical connector on the back for the trailer is not going to make any vehicle unroadworthy.

And the relevance of this to post #58 is?

I would expect anyone upon hearing from their mechanic that their car is unroadworthy to ask what the problem is and then make an informed decision on whether they drive away. A dodgy electrical connector for a trailer would probably fall under the FIWGAS bracket whereas bald tyres, snapped suspension arms or only one operating brake would fall under the 'better not drive the POS until it's fixed' bracket.

At the end of the day, you get pulled an done for driving an unroadworthy vehicle after a mechanic has told you it's a POS that needs fixing then you've only yourself to blame.