Pensioner, 78, arrested on suspicion of murder after suspected burglar

UNBELIEVABLE

A pensioner has been arrested after a suspected burglar was killed during a violent tussle at his home.

The 78-year-old was held on suspicion of murder after the 38-year-old died of his wounds in hospital in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Police said the struggle broke out after the pensioner had found two men inside his home in South Park, Hither Green, south London shortly after midnight.

One suspect, armed with a screwdriver, forced the home-owner into his kitchen when he discovered them, while his accomplice went upstairs.

Detectives believe a struggle ensued between "one of the males and the home-owner" and the 38-year-old intruder was stabbed in the upper body.

He was later found collapsed in nearby Further Green Road by paramedics from London Ambulance Service, who took him to a central London hospital where he died at 3.37am. Police were unable to confirm whether the suspect had been stabbed with the screwdriver.

In a statement Scotland Yard said: “At 00:45hrs on Wednesday, 4 April, police were called by a home owner to reports of a burglary in progress at an address in South Park Crescent, Hither Green SE6, and a man injured.

“The 78-year-old resident found two males inside the address. A struggle ensued between one of the males and the home owner. The man, aged 37, sustained a stab wound to the upper body.”

The home owner suffered bruising to his arms and his injuries are not life threatening.

Police arrested him on suspicion of grievous bodily harm before then arresting him on suspicion of murder.

He was taken to a south London police station where he remains at this time.

The second suspect in the burglary fled the scene prior to police arrival and and is now being hunted by the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command.

A resident living in the street where the incident took place said: "I moved here because I thought it was a safe, nice, pleasant area but this is shocking."

A neighbour who has lived in the area for 10 years added: "We've heard of break ins over the years, but nothing like this."

Related Topics

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/04/suspected-burglar-dies-tussle-pensioner-78/

The innocent get hammered AGAIN!

You're being ridiculous, he's been arrested, not charged, not convicted.

There'll be an investigation, a file sent to the CPS, and assuming it's reasonable (which on the face of it it sounds to be) he'll be released without charge.

It's one of those rare occasions I agree with cyclone. He's been arrested - as he should be as he's just stabbed someone. Facts and statements will be obtained and I'd wager he'll get off no worries.

I recall a similar case of some old boy (Manchester?) who stabbed a guy in similar circumstances, was arrested, questioned, then released.

---------- Post added 04-04-2018 at 15:18 ----------

It is possible to get prison though, depending how far you go:

Man jailed for killing burglar

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2335975.stm

Should read, man jailed for killing escaping burglar in the back half way down his street.

But I take your point.;)

I think the pertinent bit of the story, and sentencing, is that which I've emboldened below.

"Mr Williams, of Tottenham, north London, 35, died in January after being stabbed twelve times in the back by Hastings who claimed he had acted to protect his family."

An arrest and formal investigation in this current case would seem reasonable, but one would hope that the CPS would decide that a prosecution was not in the public interest, or some similar final outcome.

Edited by peak4

Big difference, this guy went berserk. Stabbing a guy 12 times in the back mostly outside, when the burglar was trying to flee is not self-defence, by any stretch. On the other hand, on the face of it the 78-year-old should not be charged, the fact that he too was hurt tells the story, in my view.

Big difference, this guy went berserk. Stabbing a guy 12 times in the back mostly outside, when the burglar was trying to flee is not self-defence, by any stretch. On the other hand, on the face of it the 78-year-old should not be charged, the fact that he too was hurt tells the story, in my view.

Sounds like a very serious case of suicide, if armed burglary is your chosen career path, then death whilst participating in it is an occupational risk.

Bit like the tony Martin / Fred barras incident

If the burglar had not been there he would still be alive today hope this old guy gets found not guilty for standing up for himself

........so do I, but there will be many who will sympathize with the burglar more than the victim, who will now have to live the rest of his life in fear of some sort of possible retribution from the nut jobs with twisted logic that we have to put up with in our society!