Eric Bristow dies aged 60

iansheff

I did like Bristow and admired him for his darts but the best game I saw with him in it was when he did lose, to Deller in 1983.

Bristow really was like Steve Davis in snooker. Capable of flair but a master of the percentage game. He could have won with the bullseye in that leg, but on his last throw, he played the percentage shot, to finish up on double 16 and, with him, certain victory if he'd been given the chance. Where Jocky Wilson, the Hurricane Higgins of darts at that time, would have gone for that bullseye, Bristow, like Steve Davis, did not. But Deller played out with an unbelievable 138. I remember how magnamimous Bristow was in defeat to Deller. Bristow was cool.

RIP.

I'm a bit of an amateur artist/cartoonist as a hobby, and I once did a caricature of Eric Bristow and posted it to his personal Twitter account and he acknowledged it and liked it.